Geoff Haselhurst: Banned for Speaking Against Scientific Inquisition

• Thread starter ShyTalk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the banning of Geoff Haselhurst from a scientific message board due to his response to criticisms of the SSW theory he supports. The speaker finds it ironic that a supposedly objective scientific board behaves like the Spanish Inquisition. They also mention Galileo's quote about the stubbornness of mainstream philosophers in accepting new ideas. The conversation ends with the suggestion that Geoff should publish his theory in a peer-reviewed journal before discussing it on the message board.
ShyTalk
I note that Geoff Haselhurst has been banned for no good reason other than making a very reasonable response to some wild criticisms of the SSW theory he supports.
I find it absolutely laughable that a scientific 'message board' which no doubt considers itself a paragon of 'scientific' objectivity in reality behaves like a deliquent squad run by the Spanish inquisition.

Galileo's remarks about such 'scientific' standards do of course remain as true today as they were 100s of years ago:

"I wish, my dear Kepler, that we could have a good laugh together at the extraordinary stupidity of the mob. What do you think of the foremost philosophers of this University? In spite of my oft-repeated efforts and invitations, they have refused, with the obstinacy of a glutted adder, to look at the planets or Moon or my telescope. ...
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual"
(Galileo Galilei)

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever you say, Geoff.

ShyTalk said:
I note that Geoff Haselhurst has been banned for no good reason other than making a very reasonable response to some wild criticisms of the SSW theory he supports.

Tell Geoff that when he has published his theory in a peer reviewed journal, then he is more than welcome to post it here for discussion. Until then, he must abide by the rules for non-mainstream, unpublished theories, budding Galileo or not.

Likes Timmy Lee

1. Why was Geoff Haselhurst banned for speaking against scientific inquisition?

Geoff Haselhurst was banned for speaking out against the practice of scientific inquisition, which is the suppression of ideas and theories that go against mainstream scientific beliefs. He believed that this practice stifled progress and hindered the pursuit of knowledge.

2. What were some of the ideas and theories that Geoff Haselhurst spoke about?

Geoff Haselhurst was a proponent of the Electric Universe theory, which challenges traditional ideas about the origins and nature of the universe. He also spoke about the role of consciousness in the universe, and how it could potentially alter our understanding of reality.

3. How did the scientific community react to Geoff Haselhurst's ideas?

The scientific community largely rejected Geoff Haselhurst's ideas, viewing them as pseudoscience and not based on empirical evidence. This led to his banishment from certain scientific circles and online forums.

4. Did Geoff Haselhurst face any consequences for speaking out against scientific inquisition?

Yes, in addition to being banned from certain communities, Geoff Haselhurst also faced personal attacks and criticism from those who disagreed with his ideas. However, he remained steadfast in his beliefs and continued to advocate for the free exchange of ideas in science.

5. What can we learn from Geoff Haselhurst's experience with scientific inquisition?

Geoff Haselhurst's experience highlights the importance of open-mindedness and the free exchange of ideas in the scientific community. It also serves as a reminder to not dismiss alternative theories and perspectives without proper consideration and examination.