Geometric Inequality: Prove √(2x)+√(2y)+√(2z)≤√(x+y)+√(y+z)+√(x+z)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dengulakungen
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let a,b and c be lengths of sides in a triangle, show that
√(a+b-c)+√(a-b+c)+√(-a+b+c)≤√a+√b+√c

The Attempt at a Solution


With Ravi-transformation the expressions can be written as

√(2x)+√(2y)+√(2z)≤√(x+y)+√(y+z)+√(x+z).

Im stuck with this inequality. Can´t find a way to use any known inequalities such as AM-GM or the rearrangement inequality.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I have tried to square the experisions, but without success. I will try it again.
 
dengulakungen said:
Yes I have tried to square the experisions, but without success. I will try it again.

Your alternative expression of the inequality is the way to go. Even simpler: verify that for any two numbers ##x,y>0## we have ##\sqrt{x+y} \geq \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2x} + \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2y}##. Again, have you tried squaring?
 
Last edited: