Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrical interpretation of this property

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    Hi there!

I have the following property:
    If [itex]x(t)[/itex] is a solution of [itex] \left\{ \begin{array}{l} \dot{x} = f(x) \\ x(t_0) = x_0 \end{array} \right. [/itex] then the function [itex] y(t) = x(t+t_0) [/itex] is a solution of the equation with initial data [itex] y(0) = x_0 [/itex].

How could it be interpreted geometrically?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2
    Geometrically, think of [itex]f[/itex] as a vector field. Imagine it as a collection of arrows describing the velocity of a fluid; that is, for each [itex]x[/itex], [itex]f(x)[/itex] is the velocity of the fluid at the point [itex]x[/itex].

Now, imagine a small pebble moving in this fluid. At each point [itex]x[/itex], the trajectory of the pebble must be tangent to the vector [itex]f(x)[/itex] (why?). Dropping a pebble into the fluid at a specific point [itex]x_0[/itex] represents an initial condition of your ODE. The answer to your question is the following: it doesn't matter what time you drop the pebble at [itex]x_0[/itex]; the pebble's resulting trajectory will always be the same, because the fluid velocity field is unchanging with time.

The image of the solution of [itex]y[/itex] is just a copy of the image of [itex]x[/itex], but shifted in time -- just like the pebble's motion when dropped at time [itex]t_0[/itex] is identical to its motion when dropped at [itex]0[/itex], but shifted in time.

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    Nice example! So, if the velocity is constant it means that the position [itex] x(t) [/itex] is linear and so [itex] y(t) [/itex] is, and due the way the functions are linked I can say that their graphics are parallels.
    Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook