Geometry Proof (Circles and Chords)

In summary: This forms a right triangle with one of the angles being <ABC. Using the angle sum formula for a triangle, we can see that <ABC = (1/2)(arc)BC, which is what we were trying to prove. This is a standard theorem in Euclid's Book III, and the proof is immediate if you know the angle sum formula and the fact that a tangent is perpendicular to the radius. Remember to always start a circle proof by drawing a line to the center!
Volux
Hey all. At my school we have these things called "Real Problems" that we get every 3-4 weeks. This time it's about proofs. I have an A- in the class, so I got the difficult one with 4 very difficult (IMO) proofs.

I have NO idea where to start on this..I have drawn it out for you. All help is greatly appreciated. I am here to merely learn, not copy everything. I would appreciate full answers, but I am definitely here to Learn how to do this for tests.

Given: Tangent line AB and chord BC.
Prove: <ABC = (1/2)(arc)BC

In other words prove: (Angle ABC = Half of arc BC)

HINT: Using the center of the circle, draw in OB and OC (which I did in the picture for you).

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4413/proof1f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you might look in euclid where this is a standard theorem, probably in book III.

by the way you have probably started it more or less correctly, as the first step in a circle proof is always to draw an appropriate line to the center.

in fact the proof is immediate from your figure if you know the angle sum formula for a triangle, and the fact that a tangent is perpendicular to the radius.

Consider drawing a line segment from the center of the circle, through the midpoint of BC, until it intersects AB.

1. What is a circle proof?

A circle proof is a mathematical method used to prove theorems or statements about circles and their properties. It involves using logical reasoning and previously established theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

2. What is the difference between a circle proof and a regular proof?

A circle proof specifically deals with the properties and characteristics of circles, while a regular proof can apply to any mathematical concept or problem. Additionally, circle proofs often use specific theorems and postulates related to circles, such as the inscribed angle theorem or the chord properties theorem.

3. How do you start a circle proof?

The first step in a circle proof is to clearly state the theorem or statement that needs to be proven. Then, you can begin by identifying any given information or known properties of the circle. From there, you can use logical reasoning and theorems to make connections and arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. Can you use algebra in a circle proof?

Yes, algebra can be used in a circle proof in order to solve for unknown values or to simplify equations. However, it is important to also use geometric properties and theorems in conjunction with algebra to fully prove a statement about circles.

5. Are there different types of circle proofs?

Yes, there are different types of circle proofs depending on the specific theorem or statement being proven. Some common types include proofs involving inscribed angles, central angles, or tangents to a circle.