Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Proof (Circles and Chords)

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Hey all. At my school we have these things called "Real Problems" that we get every 3-4 weeks. This time it's about proofs. I have an A- in the class, so I got the difficult one with 4 very difficult (IMO) proofs.

I have NO idea where to start on this..I have drawn it out for you. All help is greatly appreciated. I am here to merely learn, not copy everything. I would appreciate full answers, but I am definitely here to Learn how to do this for tests.

Given: Tangent line AB and chord BC.
    Prove: <ABC = (1/2)(arc)BC

In other words prove: (Angle ABC = Half of arc BC)

HINT: Using the center of the circle, draw in OB and OC (which I did in the picture for you).

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4413/proof1f.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you might look in euclid where this is a standard theorem, probably in book III.

by the way you have probably started it more or less correctly, as the first step in a circle proof is always to draw an appropriate line to the center.

in fact the proof is immediate from your figure if you know the angle sum formula for a triangle, and the fact that a tangent is perpendicular to the radius.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    Consider drawing a line segment from the center of the circle, through the midpoint of BC, until it intersects AB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook