George Gamow: Turning Double Apples into Doughnuts & Inverse Universes

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0
In George Gamow's book "One Two Three Infinity" he explains on page 56 how to turn a "double apple" with a free surface into a doughnut:
http://books.google.com/books?id=EZ...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA57,M1
He then (page 58) goes on to explain how the reverse process can be used to make an "inverse universe" where a human is somehow tured inside out.
I'm pretty sure that I understand how the double apple is changed to a doughnut but I don't understand how the reverse process make an inverse universe. It seems as if we just have to change the material of the doughnut itself and not the surrounding space.
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the surface he demarcates "FREE". What is it bounding in each step? :)