Germany 3-1 Portugal: Schweinsteiger's Brace Secures Victory

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Germany
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
22,714
Reaction score
7,806
Well I missed it but I heard about it afterward.

Germany 3 - Portugal 1.

One of the German goals was scored by Portugal - a player accidentally knock the ball in his own goal. :frown: I feel sorry for that dude.

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Midfielder) scored two direct goals, and had a free kick deflected by Petit (Portugal) into the Portugese box.

The highlights - http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060708/1/8ohc.html
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It was a great game, both teams played well, and it was not annoying, not an all-defensive play.
I had the impression that the referees got some instructions to watch for faul play by the Portugese, they didn't let anything pass, and were not impressed by some theatre. I have to say I was impressed by the accuracy of the refereeing... Guess that's what happens when you get a reputation. Hopefully the referee will have a similar attitude tonight, not to be impressed with freestyle diving, which would then favor France over Italy :biggrin: They had enough bad referee decisions against them until now.
 
vanesch said:
It was a great game, both teams played well, and it was not annoying, not an all-defensive play.
Third place games usually are. There's less at stake, so teams just go out to put up a good show and typically, are not terribly mindful of defense - like an "all-star" game that you might watch in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if third-place games had statistically much higher scores than finals.