Giant magnetoresistance Nobel Prize winners

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
EL
Science Advisor
Messages
558
Reaction score
0
http://nobelprize.org/

Albert Fert and Peter Grünberg

"for the discovery of Giant Magnetoresistance"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to them!
There's some more info on the entry I submitted to the PF blog:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2007/10/09/nobel-prize-in-physics-2007/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
More award for Condensed matter! :)

Note that GMR and CMR (collosal magnetoresistance) share many similarities with the high-Tc cuprates. In fact, a lot of the understanding from one family of material provides insight into the other family.

Zz.

Edit: The Nobel Prize webpage has a very http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2007/info.pdf. So if anyone tells you that physics is nothing more than a study of some esoteric subject such as high-energy or "string theory" without any direct impact on our lives, you just point out this article to him/her.
 
Last edited:
Physics Nobel for nanotechnology--Fert (Fr.) and Gruenberg (Ger.)

==quote==
French, German Scientists Win Nobel Physics Prize
By VOA News
09 October 2007

The 2007 Nobel Prize for Physics has been awarded to two scientists from France and Germany for their work in nanotechnology.

France's Albert Fert and Germany's Peter Gruenberg were recognized for discovering a technique (giant magnetoresistance) that allows computer users to store large amounts of data quickly and easily on hard disks.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences made the announcement Tuesday in Stockholm. It says the discovery can be considered "one of the first real applications of the promising field of nanotechnology"...
==endquote from VoA==
 
Last edited:
On the PF blog, I tracked down announcements of two other prizes that they won: the 2006/7 Wolf Foundation Prize and the 2007 Japan Prize. For the Japan Prize, there are links to videos of lectures they gave for that prize.
 
it should be noted that this is one of the first major discoveries applied from nanotechnology
 
Last edited:
EL said:
http://nobelprize.org/

Albert Fert and Peter Grünberg

"for the discovery of Giant Magnetoresistance"

I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't a 3-way split... I just think that the Nobel for Magneto-resistance should have also included Professor Charles F. Xavier :)
 
RetardedBastard said:
I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't a 3-way split... I just think that the Nobel for Magneto-resistance should have also included Professor Charles F. Xavier :)

I don't think he published enough in that field. I didn't find any on MathSciNet.
But he is impressive with Ph.D's in Genetics, Biophysics, and Psychology. :)