1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give some suggestions about minor

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1

HTT

My major is physics, and this is my second year of college. I looked those jobs on AIP and it really makes me nervous.... Why most careers need PhD physics and Engineering?!! :L I'm frustrated right now. I took one semester of computer science; I found that programming is not my thing. :mad:Give me some suggestions about minor so that I have better chance to get a job after 4 years colloge. Thank you all~ !! o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)Oh~ and two more things, what is the best time to take a minor? What grade should I get so that my gdp will be high enough like 3.75..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2014 #2
    One programming class sounds like it could be a little premature to conclude it's not your thing. It's probably not too late to change your major to engineering. Computer science is one of the few minors that's worth anything.

You could look into being an actuary, with a math or statistics minor. It should be possible to avoid programming with that career path, but you can make a lot of money. It can be a little tough to break into, though.

If I were you, I'd make sure to get internships and start reading about how to search for a job and see a career counselor at some point. That's just as important, if not more important than taking classes. I've been looking for a job for about a year now, and basically, they make it as difficult as possible for someone without experience to get hired. It's like this massive puzzle you have to try to solve. It's better to start on it as early as you can. Also, find out about what the jobs are actually like. Do informational interviews.

4. Oct 11, 2014 #3

esuna

Gold Member

The good stuff in computer science doesn't start until near the end of the second semester. I felt the same way at first but the last month of my second semester class changed my whole perspective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook