Glider pulled by suspended mass

• Thread starter slapshot151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the discussion revolves around solving a problem involving a 1.00-kg glider and a hanging object attached by a string over a pulley. The goal is to relate the speed of the glider (vx) and the hanging object (vy) using the equation vx = uvy, where u = z(z2-h02)-1/2. Further discussion involves finding the acceleration of the glider (ax) and the hanging object (ay) at the instant the glider is released from rest, and the use of differentiation and the chain rule to solve the problem.
slapshot151

Homework Statement

A 1.00-kg glider on a horizontal air track is pulled by a string at an angle θ . The taut
string runs over a pulley and is attached to a hanging object of mass 0.500 kg . (a) Show that the speed vx of the glider and the speed vy of the hanging object are related by vx = uvy, where u = z(z2–h02)–1/2. (b) The glider is released from rest. Show that at that instant the acceleration ax of the glider and the acceleration ay of the hanging object are related by ax = uay.

Homework Equations

vy2+h02=z2 (i think...)

The Attempt at a Solution

having problems with part b)
i tried to obtain vx=uvy by deriving the following equation by t:

vy2+h02=z2

see attachment for my attempt.

i've been working on this one problem for a few hours now... i don't get it

Attachments

• p4-49.gif
    p4-49.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 454
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

Draw the triangle incorporating z, ho, and x. What is x in terms of the other variables?

When the hanging mass falls a given distance, what happens to the length of z? How does x change when z changes? How does a change in the length of z relate to the velocity of the falling mass?

Hint: Differentiation is required, and then an application of the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your question. The relationship between the glider's speed vx and the hanging object's speed vy is given by vx = uvy, where u = z(z2–h02)–1/2. This equation can be derived by considering the forces acting on the glider and the hanging object, and using Newton's second law of motion, F=ma. The solution for part (a) is correct.

For part (b), we can use the same approach to derive the relationship between the accelerations of the glider and the hanging object. Since the glider is released from rest, its initial speed (vx) is equal to zero and the initial speed of the hanging object (vy) is given by vy = z(z2–h02)–1/2. Using the equation for velocity, vy = at, we can substitute the initial speed and solve for the acceleration, giving us ay = z(z2–h02)–1/2/t. Similarly, for the glider, vx = at and since its initial speed is zero, we get ax = 0. Therefore, the relationship between the accelerations is given by ax = uay, where u = z(z2–h02)–1/2.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for part (b). If you are still having trouble, I would suggest going through the solution step by step and making sure you understand each step. Also, double check your calculations to ensure they are correct. If you continue to have difficulties, I would recommend seeking help from a tutor or your instructor. Good luck with your studies!

1. How does a glider pulled by a suspended mass work?

The glider works by utilizing the principle of conservation of energy. The suspended mass, which is usually a weight or a motor, provides the necessary energy to pull the glider through the air. As the weight falls, it pulls the glider forward, and as it rises back up, it stores potential energy which can be used to continue the motion of the glider.

2. What is the purpose of using a suspended mass in a glider?

The suspended mass provides the necessary propulsion for the glider to move through the air. This allows the glider to fly for longer periods of time without the need for a motor or external power source. It also allows for a smoother and more controlled flight compared to other glider designs.

3. What materials are typically used to make a glider pulled by a suspended mass?

The materials used for the glider itself can vary, but some common choices include lightweight materials such as balsa wood, foam, or carbon fiber. The suspended mass can be made of various materials, such as metal, sand, or even water. The key is to have a weight that is heavy enough to provide sufficient propulsion, but not too heavy to hinder the flight of the glider.

4. How is the glider controlled while being pulled by a suspended mass?

The glider can be controlled through various methods such as weight distribution, wing shape, and rudder control. The weight distribution can be adjusted to change the glider's center of gravity and affect its flight path. The wing shape can also be adjusted to control lift and drag. A rudder can also be used to steer the glider in a specific direction.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a glider pulled by a suspended mass?

As with any scientific experiment, safety precautions should always be taken. It is important to make sure the suspended mass is securely attached to the glider and that the glider is launched in a safe environment away from people or objects. It is also important to carefully monitor the flight of the glider and make adjustments as needed to avoid any potential accidents.