1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glider pulled by suspended mass

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.00-kg glider on a horizontal air track is pulled by a string at an angle θ . The taut
    string runs over a pulley and is attached to a hanging object of mass 0.500 kg . (a) Show that the speed vx of the glider and the speed vy of the hanging object are related by vx = uvy, where u = z(z2–h02)–1/2. (b) The glider is released from rest. Show that at that instant the acceleration ax of the glider and the acceleration ay of the hanging object are related by ax = uay.

2. Relevant equations

vy2+h02=z2 (i think...)

3. The attempt at a solution

having problems with part b)
    i tried to obtain vx=uvy by deriving the following equation by t:

vy2+h02=z2

see attachment for my attempt.

i've been working on this one problem for a few hours now... i dont get it

Attached Files:

• p4-49.gif
      p4-49.gif
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
    • a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2
    anybody?

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Draw the triangle incorporating z, ho, and x. What is x in terms of the other variables?

When the hanging mass falls a given distance, what happens to the length of z? How does x change when z changes? How does a change in the length of z relate to the velocity of the falling mass?

Hint: Differentiation is required, and then an application of the chain rule.

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook