Glimpsing Orion's Setting in the Western Sky

In summary, the conversation is about the positions of constellations in the night sky, specifically Orion and Scorpio. The speaker mentions using Stellarium to match the view of these constellations in the sky. They also mention other constellations such as Canis Major, Southern Cross, and Sagittarius, as well as the date and time of when they were observed. There is also a mention of the black hole at the center of the Milky Way, although it cannot be seen in the picture taken.
TL;DR Summary
Some pics I took with a Canon EOS 600D camera.
Orion setting in the west.

1683967962619.jpeg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Matching view of Orion from Stellarium:

1683968630301.jpeg

Matching view of Scorpio from Stellarium. I have outlined the constellation as it appears in my pic above.

1683968812617.jpeg

Likes fresh_42 and pinball1970
Scorpio setting. 6th June 2023 4:09am

Canon EOS 600D 18 mm f/11 15 sec
ISO 3200

Scorpio setting 2.jpg

Sagittarius and Corona Australis. Scorpio's tail at lower left. 20th May 2023 5:22 am.

Somewhere in there lurks Sagittarius A - the monster black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. Obviously the pic will show no signs of that!

Canon EOS 600D 30 mm f/11 10 sec
ISO 3200

Sagittarius.jpg

1. What is Orion's Setting in the Western Sky?

Orion's Setting in the Western Sky refers to the constellation Orion, which is visible in the western sky during certain times of the year. The constellation is named after the Greek mythological hunter, Orion.

2. When can I see Orion's Setting in the Western Sky?

Orion's Setting in the Western Sky can be seen during the winter months in the northern hemisphere, typically from November to February. In the southern hemisphere, it can be seen during the summer months.

3. Why is Orion's Setting in the Western Sky significant?

Orion's Setting in the Western Sky is significant because it is one of the most recognizable constellations in the night sky. It also contains some of the brightest stars, including Betelgeuse and Rigel.

4. How can I locate Orion's Setting in the Western Sky?

To locate Orion's Setting in the Western Sky, look for three bright stars in a row, which make up Orion's belt. The two brightest stars in the constellation, Betelgeuse and Rigel, are also helpful markers for finding Orion.

5. Can I see Orion's Setting in the Western Sky with the naked eye?

Yes, Orion's Setting in the Western Sky can be seen with the naked eye. However, using a telescope or binoculars can enhance the viewing experience and allow you to see more detail in the constellation.