Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldstein schodinger's equation Lagragian problem.

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    Problem 3 in the continuous systems and fields chapter of (the first edition, 1956 printing) of Goldstein's classical mechanics has the following Lagrangian:

[tex]
    L = \frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \nabla \psi \cdot \nabla \psi^{*}
    + V \psi \psi^{*}
    + \frac{h}{2\pi i}
    ( \psi^{*} \dot{\psi}
    - \psi \dot{\psi}^{*} )
    [/tex]

The problem is to treat [itex]\psi[/itex] and its conjugate as independent field variables and show that this generates Schodinger's equation and its conjugate.

Doing the problem I find I need [itex]h/4\pi i[/itex] in this last term to make it work out. Could somebody with a newer edition of this text see if this is a corrected typo?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still the same eq for the Lagrangian density.

I have third edition.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    Does anybody see where I went wrong:

[tex]
    L
    = \frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \nabla \psi \cdot \nabla \psi^{*} + V \psi \psi^{*} + \frac{h}{2 \pi i} ( \psi^{*} \partial_t \psi - \psi \partial_t \psi^{*} )
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \partial_k \psi \partial_k \psi^{*} + V \psi \psi^{*} +
    \frac{h}{2 \pi i} ( \psi^{*} \partial_t \psi - \psi \partial_t \psi^{*} )
    [/tex]

We have
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial \psi^{*} } = V\psi + \frac{h}{2 \pi i} \partial_t \psi
    [/tex]

and canonical momenta
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial{(\partial_k \psi^{*})}} = \frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \partial_{k} \psi
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial{(\partial_t \psi^{*})}} = -\frac{h}{2 \pi i} {\psi}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial \psi^{*}} = \sum_k \partial_k \frac{\partial L}{\partial{(\partial_k \psi^{*})}} + \partial_t \frac{\partial L}{\partial{(\partial_t \psi^{*})}}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    V\psi + \frac{h}{2 \pi i} \partial_t \psi = \frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \sum_k \partial_{kk} \psi -\frac{h}{2 \pi i} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial{t}}
    [/tex]

which is off by a factor of two in the time term
    [tex]
    -\frac{h^2}{8 \pi^2 m} \nabla^2 \psi + V\psi = \frac{h i}{\pi} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial{t}}
    [/tex]

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6
    Thanks Sam.

Malawi,

What page and chapter is this problem in, in the third edition?

EDIT: fyi. I reported the problem and got the following response:

> I looked in the 1st, 4th and 6th printings of the 3rd edition. The problem appears on page 599 (#4). The correction you sent was made before the 1st printing since the 1/4 appears on page 599 of all printings.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?