1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good chemistry books/videos/tutorials?

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    I'm going to self-study Chemistry this year and I need some very good books/videos/tutorials that I can absorb and comprehend the information "easily" from.

Is Zumdahls 7th ed good? Can anyone recommend other texts?

Also, does anyone know of any free online videos, tutorials, or any source that might aid me in self-studying chemistry? I prefer having a teacher teach me so videos are very helpful to me. I checked out Berkely's podcasts but they were sort of too confusing (I didn't know what they were talking about).

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2
    chemistry by silberberg is by far the best book i've learned from (comparing with atkins, brown, and mcmurry)

you can get his book on amazon for like 5 bucks!

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    I used Zumdahl's for my first year general chem course. From what I remember it was decent, but it really sucked in anything related to physical chemistry. Especially when he tried to explain particle in a box. That was absolute crap. However, thermodynamics was done somewhat decently but assumed you had strong integral calc (which at that time I never knew). The organic chemistry section wasn't good either, as most of it was way too introductory. Other than that, it had some good exercises that helped reinforce topics.

I've looked at Silberberg as well and it seemed to cover pretty much everything Zumdahl had except with more emphasis on physical chem and inorganic chem. I can't really say how good it was, but all I can tell you is Zumdahl is average and sufficient for self-study.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #4
    Check out the MIT opencourseware, they usually have good videos, as for good books, it depends on the topic you want to study, a good all-round book is Petrucci's Chemistry. For organic chemistry I would recomend Wade, or Voldhart (I hate Carey and McMurry)
    for inorganic chemistry it really depends on the level, i like Huheey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?