Good experimental/dream-like authors and artists

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Authors
In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for experimental content in various forms, including music, books, and movies. The participants also mention their appreciation for certain artists and works, such as Frank Zappa, Tera Melos, Menomena, and the book "Flowers For Algernon." They also share their interest in finding more surreal and unconventional content to enjoy. One participant recommends "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Hammond, while another suggests checking out the work of Chris Morris, a satirist known for his surreal and dark comedy.
moe darklight
any good stuff u guys know? experimental music/movies/books/visual art/other ... stuff that has an experimental edge but is still fun to listen to or read or watch... I guess all art is experimental, or else you're doing something wrong. So I guess the right word is surreal— stuff that isn't "quite right" :biggrin:

I checked out some book and music recommendations from PF members from other topics and enjoyed very much some of them. I just yesterday got the book "Flowers For Algernon" that was recommended and it's incredible so far— it's been a while since I'm so into a book that I almost finish it on one sitting.here's some stuff I'd recommend:

Music:
- about 50% of Frank Zappa's stuff (you really have to dig, he's got like 60 albums... a lot of it is too much weird... but a lot of it is absolutely beautiful (and funny) too).
- Tera Melos -- AMAZING instrumental band that you'll probably never hear of. check out their self titled album and their myspace, well worth the purchase.
- Menomena -- experimental indie pop rock. really fun, they still have to grow a bit, but it's really great stuff.
- The Mars Volta and Radiohead and Pink Floyd obviously...

Books: I haven't found too many surreal authors very impressive other than the Safran foer, Lewis Carroll, Joyce, and all those that everyone probably already knows of... most just read like every other "experimental" author, or are just annoying. so I really want to find some good ones!

Movies: the machinist, a scanner darkly, memento, waking life, eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, ryan, donnie darko, brazil, requiem for a dream, pi, fight club, american psycho, paranoia 1.0, magnolia, spider, punch drunk love, the fly, one hour photo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommened The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time written by Mark Hammond. I found that new and interesting.

I quite like the surreal and Chris Morris, an english satirist made a very surreal short film called "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aJGHGrhsgw"".

He also did some very surreal and black comedy on TV and radio called Blue Jam and Jam respectively. Well worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who are some examples of good experimental/dream-like authors and artists?

Some examples of good experimental/dream-like authors and artists include Franz Kafka, Salvador Dali, Haruki Murakami, Virginia Woolf, and David Lynch.

2. What makes an author or artist experimental or dream-like?

An experimental or dream-like author or artist often uses unconventional techniques, themes, or subject matter in their work. They may also incorporate elements of surrealism, symbolism, or fantasy into their pieces.

3. How do experimental/dream-like authors and artists differ from traditional ones?

Experimental/dream-like authors and artists often challenge traditional storytelling and art styles by pushing boundaries and exploring new concepts and ideas. They may also focus more on the subconscious mind and the exploration of the human psyche.

4. What are some common themes found in the works of experimental/dream-like authors and artists?

Some common themes found in the works of experimental/dream-like authors and artists include the nature of reality, the subconscious mind, the human condition, and the blurred lines between dreams and reality.

5. How can I appreciate and understand the works of experimental/dream-like authors and artists?

To appreciate and understand the works of experimental/dream-like authors and artists, it is helpful to approach their work with an open mind and a willingness to explore unconventional ideas. It may also be beneficial to do some research on the artist or author and their influences to gain a deeper understanding of their work.