Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good linera algebra books for beginners

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    Dear all,
    I hope this is the right forum for such a question. Could you please give some references on book on linear algebra for absolute beginners (student with not a lot of math background).
    Thanks.
    Goldbeetle

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    "Linear Algebra Demystified" by David McMahon. This book avoids abstract vector spaces and linear maps for the first few chapters, and instead teaches you the concrete computational side of linear algebra first.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the right forum is "science education" → "academic guidance" → "science book discussion".

I prefer the more abstract approach myself (e.g. Sheldon Axler: Linear algebra done right), but maybe that's because I know this stuff already. If you search for "linear algebra" at amazon.com, there are other books that have been given higher grades by the readers, so maybe you'd prefer one of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook