Goodness factor for fan cooling performance

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a wind tunnel with an axial fan and various shaped "shrouds" to improve convective cooling. The goal is to minimize fan power while maximizing heat transfer. The effectiveness of the shroud concepts is evaluated using heat transfer coefficients and pressure drops. The idea of plotting HTC versus power consumed by the fan is suggested as a way to measure performance. However, there is some confusion about the relationship between heat transfer coefficient and heat transfer. The shrouds are found to increase the velocity of air around the inductor, but each shape results in a different pressure drop and heat transfer characteristics.
gomerpyle
I have a set up which is basically a small wind tunnel (single rectangular channel) with an axial fan at the inlet. The experiment is testing the effect of various shaped "shrouds" that constrict flow around an inductor to improve the convective cooling. I have heat transfer coefficients and pressure drops gathered from the different shroud concepts, but I need some sort of measure of performance to evaluate them.

Would plotting HTC versus power consumed by the fan by an effective way to do this? The goal here is to minimize fan power but maximize the heat transfer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Heat transfer vs flow, not heat transfer coefficient, I would think. It isn't clear to me what exactly you are doing though because heat transfer coefficient should be a constant based on the geometry and properties of what heat is flowing from and adding any restriction should reduce airflow and therefore reduce heat dissipation.

russ_watters said:
Heat transfer vs flow, not heat transfer coefficient, I would think. It isn't clear to me what exactly you are doing though because heat transfer coefficient should be a constant based on the geometry and properties of what heat is flowing from and adding any restriction should reduce airflow and therefore reduce heat dissipation.

The shrouds increase the velocity of the air around the inductor because the cross-sectional area is reduced. Each different shroud shape has a different pressure drop associated with it, and different heat transfer characteristics.

1. What is the "goodness factor" for fan cooling performance?

The "goodness factor" for fan cooling performance is a measurement used to determine the effectiveness of a fan in cooling a specific area. It takes into account factors such as the fan's airflow rate, the size and shape of the fan, and the materials used in its construction.

2. How is the "goodness factor" calculated?

The "goodness factor" is calculated by dividing the airflow rate of the fan (in cubic feet per minute) by the power input of the fan (in watts). This value is then multiplied by a correction factor based on the shape and size of the fan, as well as the materials used in its construction.

3. What is considered a high "goodness factor" for fan cooling performance?

A high "goodness factor" for fan cooling performance is typically considered to be above 3. This indicates that the fan is able to provide a significant amount of cooling with a relatively low amount of power input.

4. How can the "goodness factor" be improved?

The "goodness factor" can be improved by using more efficient materials in the construction of the fan, such as lightweight and durable plastics or aluminum alloys. Additionally, optimizing the fan's shape and size, as well as its placement in the cooling system, can also increase its "goodness factor."

5. Is the "goodness factor" the only factor to consider when choosing a fan for cooling?

No, the "goodness factor" is just one aspect to consider when choosing a fan for cooling. Other factors to consider include noise level, size, cost, and compatibility with the cooling system. It is important to find a balance between all of these factors to ensure the most effective and efficient cooling performance.