Google Chrome won't display PDFs

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with viewing PDFs on a Mac using Google Chrome browser. The person suggests trying a troubleshooting step, but the final option is not available. They mention that they had no problem before but now it's not working. Another person suggests reinstalling Chrome or using macOS preview to view the files. The conversation ends with the first person saying they will try the suggested solutions.
member 428835
HI pf!

I have a mac OSX and am running the latest google chrome browser, though I cannot view pdfs. Every time I click a link that would send me to a pdf I am sent to a blank grey webpage.

Any help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
try this?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213030?hl=en

phinds said:
try this?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213030?hl=en
Thanks for the post! Unfortunately I followed those steps, but the final step I didn't have the option of selecting. All I was allowed to do is check an "always allow to run" under Chrome PDF Viewer.

I run Google Chrome on a Mac and have no problem viewing pdf files. So it can be done...

Yea, it was working fine for me too until a few days ago! Now it's stuck for some reason.

joshmccraney said:
Yea, it was working fine for me too until a few days ago! Now it's stuck for some reason.
Possibly Chrome did an auto-update that somehow bollixed the PDF addon. Try reinstalling Chrome.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
Yes uninstall and reinstall Chrome. It works on my Mac mini just fine.

The other option is to download the PDF and view via macOS preview. If that doesn't work then it's a macOS issue.

Thanks for your advice! I'll uninstall and reinstall it! Opening .pdf files in preview works. Will keep posted on outcome.

What could be causing Google Chrome to not display PDFs?

There are several potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a corrupted PDF file, outdated Chrome version, conflicting browser extensions, or a problem with the PDF viewer settings.

How can I fix the issue of Google Chrome not displaying PDFs?

There are a few solutions you can try. First, make sure your Chrome browser is up to date. If that doesn't work, try disabling any conflicting browser extensions or resetting the PDF viewer settings. You can also try opening the PDF in a different browser to see if that works.

Why is only one particular PDF not displaying in Google Chrome?

This could be due to a problem with the specific PDF file itself. It may be corrupted or contain formatting that is not compatible with Chrome's PDF viewer. Try opening the file in a different PDF viewer or converting it to a different format.

How do I change the default PDF viewer in Google Chrome?

To change the default PDF viewer in Chrome, go to Settings and scroll down to the bottom to click on "Advanced". Under "Privacy and security", click on "Content settings" and then "PDF documents". Here, you can toggle the setting to either "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome" or "Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application".

Is there a way to prevent Google Chrome from automatically opening PDFs?

Yes, you can change the PDF viewer settings in Chrome to either download the PDF files instead of automatically opening them, or to open them in a different PDF viewer application. This can be done in the "Content settings" section under "PDF documents" in Chrome's advanced settings.