Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Chrome won't display PDFs

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

HI pf!

I have a mac OSX and am running the latest google chrome browser, though I cannot view pdfs. Every time I click a link that would send me to a pdf I am sent to a blank grey webpage.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately I followed those steps, but the final step I didn't have the option of selecting. All I was allowed to do is check an "always allow to run" under Chrome PDF Viewer.

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I run Google Chrome on a Mac and have no problem viewing pdf files. So it can be done...

6. Feb 7, 2017 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Yea, it was working fine for me too until a few days ago! Now it's stuck for some reason.

7. Feb 7, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Possibly Chrome did an auto-update that somehow bollixed the PDF addon. Try reinstalling Chrome.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. Feb 7, 2017 #7

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes uninstall and reinstall Chrome. It works on my Mac mini just fine.

The other option is to download the PDF and view via macOS preview. If that doesn't work then it's a macOS issue.

9. Feb 8, 2017 #8

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for your advice! I'll uninstall and reinstall it! Opening .pdf files in preview works. Will keep posted on outcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted