Got back into shooting with a trapdoor Springfield and Colt 45 replica

  • Thread starter Thread starter Integral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fun Powder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
66
Years ago I hunted and shot guns with regulatrity but just 20yrs ago I sold my sweet little Ruger 10-22 and have not fired a shot since.

A friend and coworker has been trying to get me out black powder shooting for several years now. Finally, yesterday we "got 'r done"

Here I am holding a vintage trapdoor Springfield. This rifle belonged to a Great uncle of my friend who used it while training for the Spanish Ameican war in the late 1800's, it has been in their family since and has his initialls stamped in the stock. http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/springfield.JPG

If fires a 45-70 round http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/45_70rounds.JPG

We also fired a Colt 45 replica

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/capnball_pistol.JPG


We made lots of noise and had lots of fun.. What more can you ask of a day?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice pictures! I know what your thinking to yourself, did I shoot 5 shots, or did I shoot 6. So you gota ask yourself one question...Do you feel lucky, punk...well...do you?
 
Integral said:
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/45_70rounds.JPG
[/URL]

And they double as tent stakes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
And they double as tent stakes.
:smile: You ain't getting me to hammer one in though.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
did I shoot 5 shots, or did I shoot 6.
The only problem with that is that the question only applies to double-action revolvers or new-generation singles. Nobody with an ounce of brains ever carries 6 rounds in a single action piece. They're 5-shooters, not 6; you always carry an empty chamber under the hammer. Now that they have the transfer bar safety, you can carry six, but that's only been in the last 25-30 years.
 
Integral said:
Years ago I hunted and shot guns with regulatrity but just 20yrs ago I sold my sweet little Ruger 10-22 and have not fired a shot since.

A friend and coworker has been trying to get me out black powder shooting for several years now. Finally, yesterday we "got 'r done"

Here I am holding a vintage trapdoor Springfield. This rifle belonged to a Great uncle of my friend who used it while training for the Spanish Ameican war in the late 1800's, it has been in their family since and has his initialls stamped in the stock. http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/springfield.JPG

If fires a 45-70 round http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/45_70rounds.JPG

We also fired a Colt 45 replica

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/capnball_pistol.JPG


We made lots of noise and had lots of fun.. What more can you ask of a day?
The .45-70 was the favorite round of the US military for many years, and the prevalence of trapdoors has prevented the development of higher-powered loads, since nobody wants to see folks get blown up. I have a Ruger Model 1, and have been given a 50-round selection of SEVERE loads for the .45-70 that rival any big-game loads that currently exist. If I've got to shoot an elephant or a cape buffalo, I'm all set. I'll stay with commercial rounds for deer, and maybe ramp up if I get a moose permit. The loader travels to Alaska with his father-in-law and shoots Kodiaks, so perhaps the heavy loads are justified.
 
Last edited by a moderator: