1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Chem. Es, come in please

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    What were your experiences in Chem E schools? Sorry if this thread has already been made.

I am first year Chem E and I was wondering if I could get some insights from graduate engineers on the website. The way the schedule is designed in Arizona is that the first two years is almost entirely mathematics and physics, and maybe other science classes depending on what field of engineering one is pursuing.

I am trying to get my core classes which are the math and the science done in 1.5 years including the summers. So far here is my Schedule for the next year and half.

Fall 2013
    Cal1
    Chem 1
    ECE(intro to engineering design).

Spring 2014.

Cal2
    Physics 1
    Chem 2
    ECE(engineering design)

Summer 2014.
    Cal 3.

Fall 2014.
    Linear Algebra
    Differential equation
    physics 2
    Organic Chemistry

Spring.

Other engineering design courses.

Just by looking at the schedule, fall 2014 seems to be the most daunting one because of OChemistry.

Is there any other way I could rearrange this schedule to make it any simpler?

by the way, what really happens in intro to engineering design for Chem E majors?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2
    Sorry this is in the wrong section.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    I would leave the Fall 2014 as it is. ChE gets pretty brutal in the junior and senior years, you better get used to a demanding work load.
    O-chem isn't bad at all. General O-chem for undergrads is very basic, but it does involve a ton of memorization which can be overwhelming if you don't keep up.

I think the intro to engineering design varies between schools. For me it was like a college orientation to get our feet wet. We learned what ChE's can do, some very basic ChE science stuff, and we built a little car that propelled itself with baking soda. XD

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    lol @ the auto-propelling car. I heard of something similar and I saw a video on youtube. Did you major in ChE? If so at what year did you get your intern if at all? i am trying to get intern right now but since I practically have zero experience, and probably have zero knowledge of what'd happen at work, I am having a hard time.

6. Apr 4, 2013 #5
    Yes, Im a ChE. I interned as a highway construction inspector during my sophomore and junior years. Not exactly ChE, but I was just applying to everything and took what I got. After my senior year I interned with an oil company up in Alaska.
    Definitely try to get internships as soon as you can. Talk to your school's career adviser about marketing yourself with little experience. If you get an internship you like, do your best to impress them and get a full job out of it. It's a rough market right now.

I'm not really good for job advice though. I graduated 4 months ago and have had zero job leads. :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook