Graduate Chem. Es, come in please

In summary, the schedule in Chem E schools in Arizona is very rigorous. The first two years are mostly devoted to mathematics and physics, and then you may take other science classes depending on your engineering field. It is important to get internships as soon as you can, as the market is tough right now.
Metta
What were your experiences in Chem E schools? Sorry if this thread has already been made.

I am first year Chem E and I was wondering if I could get some insights from graduate engineers on the website. The way the schedule is designed in Arizona is that the first two years is almost entirely mathematics and physics, and maybe other science classes depending on what field of engineering one is pursuing.

I am trying to get my core classes which are the math and the science done in 1.5 years including the summers. So far here is my Schedule for the next year and half.

Fall 2013
Cal1
Chem 1
ECE(intro to engineering design).

Spring 2014.

Cal2
Physics 1
Chem 2
ECE(engineering design)

Summer 2014.
Cal 3.

Fall 2014.
Linear Algebra
Differential equation
physics 2
Organic Chemistry

Spring.

Other engineering design courses.
Just by looking at the schedule, fall 2014 seems to be the most daunting one because of OChemistry.

Is there any other way I could rearrange this schedule to make it any simpler? by the way, what really happens in intro to engineering design for Chem E majors?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry this is in the wrong section.

I would leave the Fall 2014 as it is. ChE gets pretty brutal in the junior and senior years, you better get used to a demanding work load.
O-chem isn't bad at all. General O-chem for undergrads is very basic, but it does involve a ton of memorization which can be overwhelming if you don't keep up.

I think the intro to engineering design varies between schools. For me it was like a college orientation to get our feet wet. We learned what ChE's can do, some very basic ChE science stuff, and we built a little car that propelled itself with baking soda. XD

lol @ the auto-propelling car. I heard of something similar and I saw a video on youtube. Did you major in ChE? If so at what year did you get your intern if at all? i am trying to get intern right now but since I practically have zero experience, and probably have zero knowledge of what'd happen at work, I am having a hard time.
StarSoup said:
I would leave the Fall 2014 as it is. ChE gets pretty brutal in the junior and senior years, you better get used to a demanding work load.
O-chem isn't bad at all. General O-chem for undergrads is very basic, but it does involve a ton of memorization which can be overwhelming if you don't keep up.

I think the intro to engineering design varies between schools. For me it was like a college orientation to get our feet wet. We learned what ChE's can do, some very basic ChE science stuff, and we built a little car that propelled itself with baking soda. XD

Yes, I am a ChE. I interned as a highway construction inspector during my sophomore and junior years. Not exactly ChE, but I was just applying to everything and took what I got. After my senior year I interned with an oil company up in Alaska.
Definitely try to get internships as soon as you can. Talk to your school's career adviser about marketing yourself with little experience. If you get an internship you like, do your best to impress them and get a full job out of it. It's a rough market right now.

I'm not really good for job advice though. I graduated 4 months ago and have had zero job leads. :/

1. What is the purpose of a graduate chemistry degree?

A graduate chemistry degree prepares students for careers in research, academia, and industry. It provides advanced knowledge and skills in chemistry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

2. What are the admission requirements for a graduate chemistry program?

Admission requirements may vary between universities, but typically include a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a minimum GPA. Some programs may also require a personal statement or interview.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of chemistry during my graduate studies?

Yes, most graduate chemistry programs allow students to choose a concentration or research area, such as organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, or physical chemistry. Students can also work with a faculty advisor to tailor their curriculum and research projects to their interests.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate chemistry program?

The length of a graduate chemistry program varies, but it typically takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-5 years to complete a doctoral degree. Factors such as research progress and course load can also affect the timeline.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate chemistry degree?

Graduates with a chemistry degree can pursue careers in research and development, teaching, chemical engineering, pharmaceuticals, and many other industries. They may also choose to continue their education with postdoctoral studies or a professional degree in a specialized area of chemistry.