Graduate Level Math Methods (Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirement of a first semester math methods course for the PhD in physics at various schools. Some schools have this requirement while others do not. The course covers topics such as Fourier analysis, series solutions to differential equations, Green's functions, and complex analysis. Some individuals found this course to be essential for their studies, while others did not take it at all. The common text for this course is Arfken, but there are also other options. Some individuals also took advanced math courses in pure mathematics during their grad studies, but these were not required. Overall, the conversation concludes that a math methods course can be helpful for understanding and applying concepts in core physics courses, but it may not be necessary for all individuals
cmos
Out of curiosity, I was looking at core course requirements for the PhD in physics at several different schools. I noticed that some schools required a first semester math methods while others do not. Reading the course descriptions, I noticed some overlap between topics usually seen at the undergrad level (Fourier analysis, series solutions to DEs) as well as some more advanced topics (Green's functions, complex analysis).

I am curious if the majority of the physics grad students and degree holders on this forum were give a math methods course in their first year of grad study. If you did, did you think that this course was absolutely necessary before undertaking the rigors of the rest of the common physics core? Or was it more helpful but necessarily a requirement?

I am also curious what the common text(s) is for this type of course. Other comments are always welcomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
My grad school required two semesters of math methods, but what the courses contained varied wildly depending on who was teaching it. Arfken was the required text for the first semester, which in my case covered topics like Fourier analysis, Green's functions, and complex analysis, and the second semester we used Numerical Recipes and spent the whole semester going over how to do computational physics and statistical tests. On the whole, I've found the second semester to be much more useful for my area (astrophysics) than the first, although they always threw a complex analysis and Green's function problem on the quals.

I didn't take any mathematical methods course as a grad student. I did, however, take two required semesters of mathematical methods, at the level of Arfken or higher, in my final year of undergrad. Arfken is pretty standard for an advanced mathematical methods course, but see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1760434#post1760434

In grad school, I took three semesters (abstract algebra/Lie groups and algebras/ representation theory) of graduate courses in pure mathematics (from the math department), but these were not required.

I'm how necessary it is to have a traditional mathematic methods course before the grad physics core. I thinks at least some topics in this course will be applied in core physics courses, so such a course is helpful.

1. What is the purpose of studying graduate level math methods in the field of physics?

The purpose of studying graduate level math methods in physics is to provide a solid mathematical foundation for understanding and solving complex physical problems. These methods involve advanced techniques and concepts that are necessary for conducting research and making significant contributions to the field of physics.

2. What are some of the key topics covered in graduate level math methods for physics?

Some of the key topics covered in graduate level math methods for physics include linear algebra, complex analysis, partial differential equations, group theory, and variational calculus. These topics are essential for understanding and applying mathematical principles to advanced physics concepts and problems.

3. How do graduate level math methods differ from undergraduate level math methods?

Graduate level math methods in physics are more advanced and specialized compared to undergraduate level math methods. They involve more complex and abstract concepts, and require a higher level of mathematical maturity. These methods are also more focused on applications in the field of physics.

4. Are there any specific tools or software used in graduate level math methods for physics?

Yes, there are various tools and software used in graduate level math methods for physics, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python. These tools are useful for performing mathematical calculations and simulations, and can greatly aid in understanding and solving complex physical problems.

5. How can I prepare for studying graduate level math methods in physics?

To prepare for studying graduate level math methods in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in undergraduate level mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Familiarizing yourself with basic concepts in physics, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, can also be helpful. It is also recommended to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these are essential for success in graduate level math methods courses.