1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate school chances with bad GRE

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Im planning on applying to math graduate school and taking the GRE subject test for math this weekend. However I dont think Im going to do well, but the small glimmer of hope that I have is that the schools Im applying to, either dont require it at all or "strongly recommend" it, so Im wondering what you think my chances are if I dont submit a score?

Im a math/physics major with a 3.7 gpa and sadly no research. Im obviously not applying anywhere in the top 20s, but I am looking at schools in the 40's to 50's.... do i have any chance??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    If you are trying to get into a PhD program, even if they say you don't need a math subject gre score, they actually mean that you do. If you are just going for a masters, then you could probably get away without sending in your score. Remember, math PhD admissions are pretty tough anywhere. Your gpa will be about average for the applicant pool for the schools you are applying to, and no research doesn't help, but you should keep in mind that letters of recommendation go a long, long way in graduate admissions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook