1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate School for Mathematics or Computer Science?

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, so here's the deal. I'm a Math and Computer Science major, about to enter my senior year. I'm pretty sure I want to go to grad school and I just started looking for schools I might want to apply to. The thing is, I'm not completely sure if I'd like to pursue a PhD in mathematics or computer science. To be more specific though, if I'm going for math, I'd like to do Logic. And if I choose to go for computer science, I really want to do Theory. I'm sort of leaning towards pursuing Theory instead of Logic. But that's why I'm still unsure about which to pursue: I've been told a lot that Theory relies a lot on formal methods and mathematical logic. The two are related.

So I guess I'm asking for whatever advice/suggestions I can get for making a decision, and also which schools I might want to consider. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2
    I have a professor with a bachelors, and masters in computer science, and a PhD in mathematics, I think its pretty flexible. So you can really go any way you want, I am sure you can change it if you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook