1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Graduate schools with Planetary Sciences

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    I was curious if anyone knew of any schools that offered graduate degrees in planetary sciences, specifically studying other planets atmospheres. May be it the study of the atmosphere itself or remote sensing techniques for planetary atmospheres.

I know how to find schools that offer the degree. I was more or less wondering if anyone on PF already knew some or one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Shouldn't this be a graduate degree in Astronomy, but with a specialization in Planetary Sciences? As far as I can tell, planetary sciences is a field of study within astronomy.

Zz.

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    This is what I think as well from my brief findings. However, schools with a graduate degree in Astronomy doesn't always mean Planetary Atmospheres, of course. I was hoping to narrow that aspect down :)

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But this is why you have to either ask the professor at your current schools, or do some legwork. Look for papers in the area that you want to work in, and see the authors affiliation. Or go to the various astronomy department's webpage, and browse through all the various research programs within the department.

Actually, you might want to look at geophysics dept. as well. For example, you will not find a planetary sciences graduate degree, but you can certainly specialize in it at the U. of Chicago in the Geophysical Sciences dept.

http://geosci.uchicago.edu/research/planetary-sciences-and-cosmochemistry/

So again, if you simply look for a graduate degree in planetary sciences, you won't find much. It is a sub-topic or a subject area within a larger discipline.

It is the same with practically every other areas. No school has a graduate program in, say, superconductivity. They all have graduate degree in physics, and they may even have a big area covering condensed matter physics. But it is a specific field within physics, and condensed matter, and one has to be aware of the fields and who's in it to know which schools have research specialization in the area.

Zz.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    Thanks! Wonderful, appreciate the help.

7. Apr 13, 2017 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How about the University of Arizona?

8. Apr 13, 2017 #7
    MIT has a Program in Planetary Science in the Dept of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences: https://eapsweb.mit.edu/research/pps

9. Apr 13, 2017 #8

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Harvard and Berkeley programs called earth and planetary sciences.

10. Apr 13, 2017 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted