Gram negative bacteria and blood agar hemolysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of blood agar hemolysis for identifying gram positive bacteria and the presence of haemolysis in gram negative bacteria. It is noted that haemolysis phenotypes are more commonly used for identifying gram positive bacteria, but it can also be observed in some gram negative bacteria. The possibility of using mannitol salt agar in combination with sheep's blood agar for identification is also mentioned.
Spirochete
I've looked all over and I can only find information on blood agar hemolyis for gram positive bacteria. Can I take this to mean that gram negative bacteria are generally gamma hemolytic? If so, are there any notable exceptions to this? One that I would guess is pathogenic E. coli, which cause hemolytic uremic (sp?) syndrome, but I was unable to find a direct connection to sheep's blood agar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haemolysis phenotypes are more frequently used to described Gram-positive rather than Gram-negative because the haemolysis phenotype is often crucial for proper identification of the Gram-positive especially the streptococci. However, haemolysis can be observed in Gram-negative.

I've worked with a Gram-negative that was haemolytic but only with bovine blood. It didn't cause haemolysis in sheep's blood agar.

If you do a search with E. coli and haemolysis
or E. coli and hemolytic uremic syndrome on pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=search&term=escherichia coli haemolysis

you may find the information you are looking for.

I'm realizing now that mannitol salt agar is probabably an important to combine with sheep's blood agar. First if it grows on MSA you know it's probably Staphylococcus, then if it has beta hemolysis on the sheep's blood you know it's probably also pathogenic staph.

1. What are Gram negative bacteria?

Gram negative bacteria are a type of bacteria that have a thin cell wall composed of a single layer of peptidoglycan. They appear pink or red when stained with the Gram staining technique, indicating that they do not retain the crystal violet dye.

2. How can Gram negative bacteria be identified on blood agar?

Gram negative bacteria can be identified on blood agar by their unique ability to break down red blood cells, resulting in a clear zone around their colonies. This is known as hemolysis and can be used as a diagnostic tool to identify these bacteria.

3. What is the significance of hemolysis in Gram negative bacteria?

The presence or absence of hemolysis in Gram negative bacteria can provide important information about their pathogenicity. Some species of Gram negative bacteria, such as Streptococcus pyogenes, are known to cause severe infections due to their ability to produce hemolysins that can destroy red blood cells.

4. Are all Gram negative bacteria capable of hemolysis on blood agar?

No, not all Gram negative bacteria are capable of hemolysis on blood agar. Some species, such as Escherichia coli, do not produce hemolysins and therefore do not cause any changes in the blood agar medium.

5. How is blood agar hemolysis used in clinical settings?

Blood agar hemolysis is often used in clinical settings to identify and differentiate between different species of bacteria. It can also provide important information about the virulence and pathogenicity of a particular strain of bacteria, which can guide treatment options for infections caused by Gram negative bacteria.