Granite and steel cube collision using energy and momentum conservation

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrSmiles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DrSmiles
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 100 g granite cube slides down a 35 degree frictionless ramp. At the bottom, just as it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 215 g steel cube at rest.
How high above the table should the granite cube be released to give the steel cube a speed of 200 cm/s?

Homework Equations



Conservation of momentum and energy equations. I don't know if there are more?


The Attempt at a Solution



For momentum: .1v1=.1v1_f+.215v2_f

For energy: .1(9.81)h=.5(.1)v1_f^2+.5(.215)v2_f^2

I know I'm supposed to solve a system of equations, but I have way too many variables right now. What am I doing wrong? What should I do next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done some sketches? Can you see a way of breaking this problem down into smaller parts?
 
Hi

Ill tell you the path to solve this. it seems that there is a lack of given data. to overcome that you have to do the following assumption.

after the collision the granite cube and the steel cube behaves as a single unit.

from the equations of conservation of momentum find the velocity of the granite cube before the collision.

then apply v^2=u^2+2as along the ramp. here v is the velocity of the granite cube before the collision, u=0. s is the distance traveled by the granite cube along the ramp.
to find a apply F=ma along the ramp.

finally s*sin35=the height you want

ragards
Ashanthi