Graph of stationary wave after moving for half period

In summary: I really appreciate itIn summary, a stationary wave travels along a stretched string and at a particular instant, part of the wave is shown. The period of vibration of this wave is 20 ms. According to the given image and the question, the wave should be reversed after moving half a period, but the answer states that the graph will be a horizontal line with zero amplitude. This discrepancy may be due to a mistake in the question or the answer key, as the original question from a previous year's paper suggests that the wave should be 180 degrees out of phase after 5 ms.
songoku

Homework Statement

A stationary wave travels along a stretched string. Part of this wave at a particular
instant is shown.

https://www.google.co.id/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0ltZhcjZgMk/VFjPCek0qDI/AAAAAAAAFpQ/v5tEMYIVsrQ/s1600/stationary-wave-june2011p23q6c.png&imgrefurl=http://physics-ref.blogspot.com/2014/11/physics-9702-doubts-help-page-7.html&docid=o0LHAI0i1F88PM&tbnid=cX0R4qmI0GkYfM:&w=917&h=272&bih=667&biw=1366&ved=0ahUKEwjrpYGWv7rMAhWFFqYKHXJEAB8QMwhOKCkwKQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

The period of vibration of this wave is 20 ms. Sketch the stationary wave 10 ms after the instant shown.

Homework Equations

stationary wave

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the wave will be reversed after moving half period. Let say the equation of the wave is sin, then after moving for 10 ms the equation will be - sin. But the answer says that the graph will be horizontal line. I don't understand how it can be horizontal line only (I assume the answer means that all the amplitude is zero)

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2. Relevant equation
stationary wave
... but the problem statement says:
A transverse progressive wave travels along a stretched string.
... which is it: progressive or stationary?

Likes songoku
Simon Bridge said:
... but the problem statement says: ... which is it: progressive or stationary?
Sorry my bad. Should be stationary wave. I have edited the question

Yeah I don't see how you can start at non-zero displacement and end up with zero displacement after half a period.
You can go from max to zero in a quarter of a period.

Note: you are still writing: "A stationary wave travels along a stretched string"
If it travels, it is not stationary.

Likes songoku
Simon Bridge said:
Yeah I don't see how you can start at non-zero displacement and end up with zero displacement after half a period.
You can go from max to zero in a quarter of a period.

Note: you are still writing: "A stationary wave travels along a stretched string"
If it travels, it is not stationary.
Ah my bad again. But if the question is progressive wave, will it still be reversed and not zero after moving half period?

This question comes from CIE specimen paper 2 from 2015 Q7b(iv) - the mark scheme is wrong according to the question. Either the question should say:

The period of vibration of this wave is 20ms. On Fig. 7.2, sketch the stationary wave 5ms after the instant shown in Fig. 7.2.​

- in which Fig 7.2. looks like the image above OR the mark scheme should describe the wave as being 180o out of phase.

The problem with specimen papers is that they frequently cut and paste from previous years and then when they alter them a little - they don't update the mark scheme to reflect that. In this case the original question came from June 2011 paper 23 question 6 and the original text read like this:

The period of vibration of this wave is τ. On Fig. 6.2, sketch the stationary wave 0.25 τ after the instant shown in Fig. 6.2.​

Clearly 0.25 τ is a quarter of a period or 5ms later not 10ms.

Check it out here:

http://www.sciwebhop.net/sci_web/science/asp/struc/default_ks5.asp?q=1472

Likes songoku
Ian Lindley said:
This question comes from CIE specimen paper 2 from 2015 Q7b(iv) - the mark scheme is wrong according to the question. Either the question should say:

The period of vibration of this wave is 20ms. On Fig. 7.2, sketch the stationary wave 5ms after the instant shown in Fig. 7.2.​

- in which Fig 7.2. looks like the image above OR the mark scheme should describe the wave as being 180o out of phase.

The problem with specimen papers is that they frequently cut and paste from previous years and then when they alter them a little - they don't update the mark scheme to reflect that. In this case the original question came from June 2011 paper 23 question 6 and the original text read like this:

The period of vibration of this wave is τ. On Fig. 6.2, sketch the stationary wave 0.25 τ after the instant shown in Fig. 6.2.​

Clearly 0.25 τ is a quarter of a period or 5ms later not 10ms.

Check it out here:

http://www.sciwebhop.net/sci_web/science/asp/struc/default_ks5.asp?q=1472

Thanks a lot for your help and thanks to you too Simon

1. What is a stationary wave?

A stationary wave, also known as a standing wave, is a type of wave that appears to be standing still and does not appear to be moving in any direction. It is created by the interference of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions.

2. How is a stationary wave formed?

A stationary wave is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. The points where the two waves meet and combine constructively are called nodes, while the points where they meet and cancel each other out are called antinodes.

3. What is the graph of a stationary wave after moving for half period?

The graph of a stationary wave after moving for half period shows the displacement of the wave at different points along its length. It will have a pattern of alternating nodes and antinodes, with the amplitude decreasing as the distance from the source increases.

4. How does the wavelength of a stationary wave change after moving for half period?

After moving for half period, the wavelength of the stationary wave remains the same. However, the position of the nodes and antinodes will change, with the nodes shifting to where the antinodes were and vice versa.

5. What determines the frequency of a stationary wave?

The frequency of a stationary wave is determined by the frequency of the two interfering waves that created it. It is equal to the frequency of either of the waves, as they are the same frequency and travel in opposite directions.