Gravitational force of antimatter

In summary: Thanks again.In summary, there is a gravitational force between matter and antimatter, following the same 1/r^2 law as between matter-matter or antimatter-antimatter. However, when matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate into a burst of gamma rays, making it impossible for a black hole to form from a combination of the two. It is possible that the missing antimatter in our universe could be contained within black holes.
JamesOrland said:
Um... I'm pretty sure that is not said. Maybe the matter in our Observable Universe is but a fraction of the matter present at the time inflation ended, but the whole universe is infinite (as far as most recent evidence points, mind you).

Well, for the answer to the last question, not so. We can use what we see within our cluster as a model of what other clusters might look like (here I'm using cluster to mean Observable Universe).

On the other hand, the evidence I'm talking about isn't only what's currently in our causally connected world, but also what once was under that category. I am going to thread again in dangerous territories here by talking about things of whose details I am not wholly sure. The λCDM model, which is the currently accepted model of the universe, states that the universe is mostly homogenous all around, and I do mean outside of our cluster. How they know that? I haven't a clue, but I think it has something to do with Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation. Of course, I might be just blabbering like a lunatic here, so I'm hoping that someone with a better understanding of such topics might help you here.

Or maybe you could ask about this at the Cosmology forum. They certainly know better than I do!

James:

Thanks again for your kind explanation...here one source showing that the matter of our current universe is only 1 out of 2 billion of the matter and antimatter at the big bang:

The laws of nature require that matter and antimatter be created in pairs. But within a millifraction of a second of the Big Bang, matter somehow outnumbered its particulate opposite by a hair, so that for every billion antiparticles, there were a billion and one particles. Within a second of the creation of the universe, all the antimatter was destroyed, leaving behind only matter.

(link: http://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/cern/ideas/antimatter.html)

I agree that I should bring this to the cosmology forum...I could not find one on this site...maybe some other site.

Thanks

<h2>1. What is the gravitational force of antimatter?</h2><p>The gravitational force of antimatter is the same as that of regular matter. According to the theory of general relativity, gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy. Since antimatter has the same mass and energy as regular matter, it also has the same gravitational force.</p><h2>2. How does the gravitational force of antimatter affect the universe?</h2><p>The gravitational force of antimatter plays a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. It helps to hold galaxies together and is responsible for the formation of large-scale structures such as clusters and superclusters of galaxies. Without the gravitational force of antimatter, the universe would look very different.</p><h2>3. Can antimatter be affected by gravity?</h2><p>Yes, antimatter can be affected by gravity just like regular matter. In fact, experiments have shown that antimatter particles such as antiprotons and antihydrogen behave in the same way as their regular matter counterparts when exposed to gravitational fields.</p><h2>4. Is the gravitational force of antimatter stronger or weaker than regular matter?</h2><p>The gravitational force of antimatter is neither stronger nor weaker than regular matter. As mentioned before, it is the same as that of regular matter. However, since antimatter is relatively rare in the universe, its gravitational effects are not as noticeable as those of regular matter.</p><h2>5. Can antimatter and regular matter attract or repel each other?</h2><p>Yes, antimatter and regular matter can attract or repel each other through the force of gravity. Just like two regular matter particles, an antimatter particle and a regular matter particle will be attracted to each other if they have opposite charges and repel each other if they have the same charge. The gravitational force between them will also depend on their masses and the distance between them.</p>

1. What is the gravitational force of antimatter?

The gravitational force of antimatter is the same as that of regular matter. According to the theory of general relativity, gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy. Since antimatter has the same mass and energy as regular matter, it also has the same gravitational force.

2. How does the gravitational force of antimatter affect the universe?

The gravitational force of antimatter plays a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. It helps to hold galaxies together and is responsible for the formation of large-scale structures such as clusters and superclusters of galaxies. Without the gravitational force of antimatter, the universe would look very different.

3. Can antimatter be affected by gravity?

Yes, antimatter can be affected by gravity just like regular matter. In fact, experiments have shown that antimatter particles such as antiprotons and antihydrogen behave in the same way as their regular matter counterparts when exposed to gravitational fields.

4. Is the gravitational force of antimatter stronger or weaker than regular matter?

The gravitational force of antimatter is neither stronger nor weaker than regular matter. As mentioned before, it is the same as that of regular matter. However, since antimatter is relatively rare in the universe, its gravitational effects are not as noticeable as those of regular matter.

5. Can antimatter and regular matter attract or repel each other?

Yes, antimatter and regular matter can attract or repel each other through the force of gravity. Just like two regular matter particles, an antimatter particle and a regular matter particle will be attracted to each other if they have opposite charges and repel each other if they have the same charge. The gravitational force between them will also depend on their masses and the distance between them.