Gravitational force on a particle from line of mass

In summary: L/M and L is the length of the rod.In summary, the rod is of length L and the gravitational force is calculated as F=GMm/L. The gravitational force is calculated to be two times the correct answer when a becomes very large.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Mass M is distributed uniformly along a line of length 2L. A particle of mass m is at a point that is a distance a above the center of the line on it's perpendicular bisector. For the gravitational force that the line exerts on the particle. calculate the components perpendicular and parallel to the line. Does your result reduce to the correct expression as a becomes very large?[/B]

Homework Equations

[itex] F=\frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex]

[itex] \lambda = M/L [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been trying to brush up on some first year stuff as I'm transferring to a four year next semester. I'm getting an answer that is too big by a factor of two, not sure why.

Solving for the perpendicular component of force. I have

[tex] \frac {aGmM}{L}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac{dx}{(a^2+x^2)^{3/2}} [/tex]

this gives me [tex] \frac{2GmM}{a(L^2+a^2)^{1/2}} [/tex] two times to big.

Where am I making the answer twice as big?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know it is twice as big as the correct answer?
How did you do the integration?

What should the expression turn into as a gets very large?

Crush1986 said:

Homework Statement

Mass M is distributed uniformly along a line of length 2L. A particle of mass m is at a point that is a distance a above the center of the line on it's perpendicular bisector. For the gravitational force that the line exerts on the particle. calculate the components perpendicular and parallel to the line. Does your result reduce to the correct expression as a becomes very large?[/B]

Homework Equations

[itex] F=\frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex]

[itex] \lambda = M/L [/itex]

The rod is of 2L length.

<slap face> I better get some sleep... :(

ehild said:
The rod is of 2L length.
Haha, that makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
<slap face> I better get some sleep... :(

Yeah, when I posted this I was pretty much a few hours after my bed time as well. Still not sure I would of caught this mistake though, haha. Thanks for your replies.

Usually the rod is length L and you do the integration from -L/2 to L/2 or from 0 to L depending how the coordinates were set up.
After a while i=t gets to be a reflex t just say L/M for density ... so naturally profs will throw that particular curve...

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass towards one another. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies in the universe.

How is gravitational force calculated?

Gravitational force is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does the line of mass affect gravitational force on a particle?

The line of mass refers to an imaginary line that runs through the center of mass of an object. The closer a particle is to this line, the stronger the gravitational force it experiences from the object. This is because the mass is concentrated along the line, making it the most significant factor in the calculation of gravitational force.

How does the distance from the line of mass affect gravitational force on a particle?

The farther a particle is from the line of mass, the weaker the gravitational force it experiences. This is because the mass is spread out over a larger distance, decreasing its overall influence on the particle.

Can gravitational force between two objects ever be zero?

Yes, gravitational force between two objects can be zero if they are at an infinite distance from each other. This is because as the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. At an infinite distance, the force becomes negligible and can be considered zero.