1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Energy of astronaut

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    A 120kg astronaut stands on the surface of an asteroid of radius 600m. The astrunaut leaves the surface with 15J of kinetic energy and reaches a maximum height of 300m above the surface. What is the mass of the asteroid? (Answer: 3.4*1012kg)

At the maximum height, all of the kinetic energy becomes potential gravitational energy.

EK = Epg
    15 = Gmm'/r
    15 = 6.67*10-11*120*m'/(300+600)
    1.7*1012kg = m'

I think there's an error in the calculation somewhere because my answer is exactly half the correct answer but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2
    I don't know but at first sight, you don't take into account the pot. energy at the surface-...does this make sense, like : Kinetic+potenial=converved=15-Gmm'/600=0-Gmm'/900 ??

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, you want the change in potential energy, not the potential energy itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?