Gravitational Redshift: Will Two Lasers Operate Differently?

In summary, if you measure the frequencies of two lasers that are in different gravitational fields, the lasers will have different frequencies.
Torog
If we run two identical lasers and put one at sea level and one on top of a high mountain, will they operate at different frequencies?

Physics news on Phys.org
They might depending on what altitude you're measuring their respective frequencies from. Measuring at an altitude different from the altitude of the respective laser will produce a red/blueshift. Measuring the frequency of the mountain laser from sea level will produce a blueshift, and measuring the frequency of the sea level laser from a higher altitude will produce a redshift.

Torog said:
If we run two identical lasers and put one at sea level and one on top of a high mountain, will they operate at different frequencies?
Adding on to what @Drakkith said, if you measure their frequencies with identical local clocks they will read the same.

What if I use the lasers as clocks - measure the pulses, divide many times and put the data to a readout. Shouldn't the clock (laser) on the mountain be slower?

I do understand that light as it falls into a gravitational field it gains energy and moves to blue and the opposite happens as light has to work its way out of a gravitational field.

Torog said:
Shouldn't the clock (laser) on the mountain be slower?
All of the above still applies. It will be slower than normal for any clock above it, faster for any clock below it, and unaltered for a clock right next to it.

Excuse me if I shift to cosmology. From what I understand the observed red shift of stars should come from three factors - according to the present model - First is a red shift given by the recession velocity (or general expansion of the Universe) second by the red shift caused by light having to make its way out of the gravitational field and third by the light having come from a star, quasar or other with a strong gravitational field where time and chemical processes run slower (redder) due to time being slower in the heavy gravitational field.

Torog said:
First is a red shift given by the recession velocity (or general expansion of the Universe) second by the red shift caused by light having to make its way out of the gravitational field and third by the light having come from a star, quasar or other with a strong gravitational field where time and chemical processes run slower (redder) due to time being slower in the heavy gravitational field.
The second and third are the same.

Torog said:
Excuse me if I shift to cosmology. From what I understand the observed red shift of stars should come from three factors - according to the present model - First is a red shift given by the recession velocity (or general expansion of the Universe) second by the red shift caused by light having to make its way out of the gravitational field and third by the light having come from a star, quasar or other with a strong gravitational field where time and chemical processes run slower (redder) due to time being slower in the heavy gravitational field.
We can combine redshift and gravitational time dilation like this:

$$ totalRedshift = \sqrt {redshift * gravitationalTimeDilation } $$

Or like this:

$$ totalRedshift = 0 * redshift + gravitationalTimeDilation $$

Or like this:

$$ totalRedshift = redshift + 0 * gravitationalTimeDilation $$That's a joke or something. But if we calculate the redshift factor and the gravitational time dilation factor, we always get the same number. So the formulas are correct, in a way.

Last edited:

1. What is gravitational redshift?

Gravitational redshift is a phenomenon in which light (or other forms of electromagnetic radiation) is observed to have a longer wavelength and lower frequency when it is emitted from a source located in a strong gravitational field, such as near a massive object like a black hole or a neutron star.

2. How does gravitational redshift affect lasers?

In the context of lasers, gravitational redshift can cause a difference in the operating frequency of two lasers that are located at different distances from a massive object. The laser closer to the object will experience a greater redshift and therefore operate at a lower frequency compared to the laser further away.

3. Why does gravitational redshift occur?

Gravitational redshift occurs because of the bending of spacetime by a massive object. This bending causes the wavelength of light to stretch as it travels through the gravitational field, resulting in a longer wavelength and lower frequency.

4. How is gravitational redshift related to the theory of general relativity?

Gravitational redshift is a direct consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity affects the curvature of spacetime. According to this theory, the strength of a gravitational field is directly related to the amount of spacetime curvature, which in turn affects the wavelength of light.

5. Can gravitational redshift be observed in everyday life?

While gravitational redshift is most commonly observed in extreme environments like near black holes, it can also be observed in more subtle ways on Earth. For example, clocks at higher altitudes experience a slightly lower gravitational pull and therefore run at a slightly faster rate compared to clocks at sea level, a phenomenon known as gravitational time dilation.