GRE Analytical Writing: Score Req. for Science/Math/Eng. Progs?

The general GRE is mainly used to assess international students' English proficiency and basic writing skills, so it may not hold as much weight for STEM programs. However, some schools may still use it as a criterion for admissions or awarding fellowships. Overall, a mediocre AW score on the general GRE (3 or lower) may hurt your chances, but it may not be worth retaking if your other scores are good. In summary, a 4.5/6.0 on the analytical writing section of the general GRE may be considered mediocre for science, math, or engineering programs. Some schools may use it as a criterion for admissions or fellowships, but it is mainly aimed at testing international students' grasp of English and basic writing skills.
modnarandom
What is a reasonable analytical writing GRE score for a science/math/engineering programs? I had something like a 4.5/6.0 which seems kind of mediocre. I talked to some professors about why the general GRE is required, but they said that it was mainly aimed towards testing international students' grasp of English and their basic writing skills. Is it worth retaking if my other scores are good? How significant is the general GRE score for such programs?

Physics news on Phys.org
A mediocre AW score on the general GRE, in a STEM context, means 3 and lower. There are two uses for the general GRE: some schools will use it as a criterion to make a first cut which, with respect to general GRE, means either that a weaker GGRE score in one area has to be made up in some other fashion, like GPA/research experience (a soft GRE cutoff), or that your application will then be thrown out. Other schools will use it to award school-wide fellowships based on GPA/GGRE scores.

A 4.5 on AW is not worth retaking.

1. What is the scoring system for GRE Analytical Writing?

The GRE Analytical Writing section is scored on a scale of 0-6, with half-point increments. A score of 0 is given for responses that are completely off-topic or not written in English.

2. What is the minimum score required for science, math, and engineering programs?

The minimum score required for most science, math, and engineering programs is a 4, though some competitive programs may have a higher minimum score requirement.

3. How is the GRE Analytical Writing score used in the admissions process for science, math, and engineering programs?

The GRE Analytical Writing score is just one component of the overall admissions process for science, math, and engineering programs. Admissions committees will also consider other factors such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience.

4. Can I retake the GRE Analytical Writing section if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE Analytical Writing section, but keep in mind that many programs will see all of your scores and may take an average of your scores rather than just the highest one. It is important to carefully prepare and only retake the exam if you feel confident you can improve your score.

5. How can I improve my GRE Analytical Writing score for science, math, and engineering programs?

The best way to improve your GRE Analytical Writing score is to practice. Familiarize yourself with the types of prompts and practice writing timed responses. Seek feedback from others and work on improving your writing skills. Additionally, make sure to carefully read and analyze the prompt, develop a clear and organized argument, and use specific examples to support your points.