-gre.ge.2 distance by similiar triangles

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the lengths represented by segments AB, EB, BD, and CD on a sketch were determined to be 1800ft, 1400ft, 7000ft, and 800ft respectively. The segments AC and DE intersect at B and angles AEB and CDE have the same measure. By setting up a proportion, it is found that x is equal to 1600 ft. However, it is later realized that the value of BD should be 700 ft instead of 7000 ft. Therefore, the correct value of x is 1400 ft, not 1600 ft.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
030.png

$\textit{not to scale}$
A summer camp counselor wants to find a length, x,
The lengths represented by AB, EB BD,CD on the sketch were determined to be 1800ft, 1400ft, 7000ft, 800 ft respectfully
Segments $AC$ and $DE$ intersect at $B$, and $\angle AEB$ and $\angle CDE$ have the same measure What is the value of $x$?

looks easy but still tricky

$\dfrac{x}{EB}=\dfrac{CD}{BD}
=\dfrac{x}{1400}=\dfrac{800}{700}$
multiple thru by 1400 then simplify
$x=\dfrac{800(1400)}{700}=(800)(2)=1600$ hopefully

I thot I posted this problem some time ago here but didn't see the solution in my overall document🕶

Mathematics news on Phys.org
x = 1600 ft only if BD = 700 ft instead of 7000 ft

mahalo good catch
yes I think its 700 not 7000

1. What is the concept of "distance by similar triangles"?

The concept of "distance by similar triangles" is a method used to find the distance between two points on a map or graph. It involves using the properties of similar triangles to create a proportion and solve for the unknown distance.

2. How is "distance by similar triangles" used in scientific research?

Scientists use "distance by similar triangles" to measure distances between objects or locations in their research. This method is particularly useful in fields such as geography, geology, and astronomy.

3. Can "distance by similar triangles" be used on any type of map or graph?

Yes, "distance by similar triangles" can be used on any type of map or graph as long as it accurately represents the distance between two points. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the measurement will depend on the scale and accuracy of the map or graph.

4. Are there any limitations to using "distance by similar triangles"?

One limitation of using "distance by similar triangles" is that it assumes the two points being measured are in a straight line. This method may not be accurate for measuring distances that involve curves or irregular shapes.

5. Are there any alternative methods to calculate distance besides "distance by similar triangles"?

Yes, there are other methods to calculate distance such as using the Pythagorean theorem or using GPS technology. The method used will depend on the specific situation and the available resources.

Back