Great evolutionary history stories

• Thread starter blarznik
  • Start date
I was thinking about artificial selection stories and so far I've thought of samurai crabs, domesticated dogs, super-cattle, and super/modern-corn. I'd like to hear some of your favorite evolutionary stories of natural or human-caused evolution.

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
I was thinking about artificial selection stories and so far I've thought of samurai crabs, domesticated dogs, super-cattle, and super/modern-corn. I'd like to hear some of your favorite evolutionary stories of natural or human-caused evolution.
The so-called samurai crabs are natural.

But humans chose which crabs would live. I thought that would be considered artificial?

Oh ok selective breeding

Evo
Mentor
Oh ok selective breeding
That part of Cosmos is one of my favorites. I love Carl Sagan.

What are super cows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Personally I find the most modern example of human driven evolution is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Delhi_metallo-beta-lactamase_1" [Broken] this NDM-1 gene with other bacterial species such as the potentially fatal E.coli.

In all seriousness this worries me greatly.

Favourite stories from evolution, here’s one of mine:

The common ancestor of all mammals was a small species that moved very low to the ground. It picked up ground based vibration through its lower jaw. Over time, little pieces of its lower jaw broke away to form the bones of the inner ear common to all modern mammals. And here’s the best bit of the story. That little piece of our evolutionary history, of little pieces of lower jaw bone braking away to form the bones of the inner ear, is replayed in every modern mammalian embryo as it develops.

That the sort of thing you had in mind?

One of my favourites is the endosymbiotic evolution of mitochondria and plastids. Another one is cetacean evolution (whales and dolphins).

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi Evo! :smile:
What are super cows?
They're ordinary cows, but with superconducting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_magnet" [Broken]. :wink: