Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great evolutionary history stories

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    I was thinking about artificial selection stories and so far I've thought of samurai crabs, domesticated dogs, super-cattle, and super/modern-corn. I'd like to hear some of your favorite evolutionary stories of natural or human-caused evolution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The so-called samurai crabs are natural.

4. Jun 25, 2011 #3
    But humans chose which crabs would live. I thought that would be considered artificial?

5. Jun 25, 2011 #4
    Oh ok selective breeding

6. Jun 25, 2011 #5

Evo

That part of Cosmos is one of my favorites. I love Carl Sagan.

What are super cows?

7. Jun 25, 2011 #6

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Jun 25, 2011 #7

Evo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Jun 25, 2011 #8
    Ha nice, I had forgotten about glow in the dark animals.

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9

Ryan_m_b

Personally I find the most modern example of human driven evolution is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Delhi_metallo-beta-lactamase_1" [Broken] this NDM-1 gene with other bacterial species such as the potentially fatal E.coli.

In all seriousness this worries me greatly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Jun 26, 2011 #10
    Favourite stories from evolution, here’s one of mine:

The common ancestor of all mammals was a small species that moved very low to the ground. It picked up ground based vibration through its lower jaw. Over time, little pieces of its lower jaw broke away to form the bones of the inner ear common to all modern mammals. And here’s the best bit of the story. That little piece of our evolutionary history, of little pieces of lower jaw bone braking away to form the bones of the inner ear, is replayed in every modern mammalian embryo as it develops.

That the sort of thing you had in mind?

12. Jun 27, 2011 #11
    One of my favourites is the endosymbiotic evolution of mitochondria and plastids. Another one is cetacean evolution (whales and dolphins).

13. Jun 27, 2011 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Evo! :smile:
    They're ordinary cows, but with superconducting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_magnet" [Broken]. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook