Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Great Show': Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Sunday Night

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget, tonight is supposed to be awesome. Unfortunately civilisation has crept up on me so there is always light and my idiot neighbors keep all their outdoor lights on, so I will probably see nothing.

'Great Show': Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Sunday Night

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070811/sc_space/greatshowperseidmeteorshowerpeakssundaynight

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My area is pretty light polluted, but hopefully I'll be able to see something! Thanks for the reminder, Evo.

4. Aug 12, 2007 #3
    Grrrr@ neighbor who refused to turn off the outside lights for even a few hours! And I worked too long today to even think of taking a drive out to the countryside:zzz:

5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Out of the 3 friends I called, none of them wanted to go in the middle of nowhere to watch this thing... Oh well, I'll just go in my backyard and see how it goes.

I will never forget the amazing Leonid shower some years ago.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  6. Aug 13, 2007 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I missed the heart of it but did walk to the edge of the site. Lots of Sodium lights to the west of me, but I had a pretty good view to the east. In about a 1/2 hr I saw several small meteors, one of which just kept going, it must have traversed a 1/3 of the sky, but was never very bright. I did see 3 very nice bright meteors in the 30min I had. I did not go out to look until nearly 2am PDT.

7. Aug 13, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theres a load of light pollution where I am but I did manage to see one of the brighter ones.

8. Aug 13, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I saw about three during a 5 minute period very early pre-dawn Sunday... in spite of all of the small-city lights and the haze. Unfortunately, the usual cloud cover returned on Sunday nght/Monday morning.

9. Aug 13, 2007 #8
    I only saw a single meteor. It was bright and variable. That is, the streak was bright at the two ends and faint in the middle, with a very bright portion about 3/4 of the way. Light polution where I live is pretty bad. Even so, a few years ago I saw about 2 or 3 a minute. I thought the show was called off last night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?