1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greater influence on movement: Mass OR Gradient?

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. Which, if any, has the greater influence on rate of movement down a slope with a constant distance of 80cm: the gradient of the slope or the mass of the object moving down the slope?

2. acceleration = net force / mass

3. If the slope is 90 degrees, the rate of movement of falling objects with different masses would be the same because the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass.

Am I on the right track here? Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2
    and how big is that net force?

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply willem2. The object moving down the slope (a small glass marble) weighs 3 grammes. This is all the info I have, hope this answers your question.

5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    I was wondering generally speaking, what would have a greater influence on movement of a object, its mass or the slope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook