Gret if sum1 could help thansk in advance just a segment (circle) Q (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

A goat is tethered to a post by a rope that is ten meters long. The goat is able to graze over any area that the rope allows it to reach other than that excluded by a straight fence. The perpendicular distance from the post to the fence is 6m. Over wat area can the goat graze- to the nearest meter...ans = 269m^2

If any1 could help me determine the required angle ....that would be awesome...since the Q is straigforward after that!!! thanks

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
ku1005 said:
A goat is tethered to a post by a rope that is ten meters long. The goat is able to graze over any area that the rope allows it to reach other than that excluded by a straight fence. The perpendicular distance from the post to the fence is 6m. Over wat area can the goat graze- to the nearest meter...ans = 269m^2

If any1 could help me determine the required angle ....that would be awesome...since the Q is straigforward after that!!! thanks
Draw a picture! You should see two right triangles where the hypotenuse is the 10 m rope and one leg is the 6 m perpendicular distance. The angle those make is one right triangle is obviously
[tex]cos^{-1}(\frac{6}{10})[/tex]
The total angle is twice that.

thanks very much.....but it was really stupid wat i was actually doin....i wasn;t including the rest of the circle!!!!i only included the sector wich i was caclulating with the angle u define above....but since the answer i got was wrong iassumed the angle was wrong...cheers anyway!!!

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving