1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gret if sum1 could help thansk in advance just a segment (circle) Q

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    A goat is tethered to a post by a rope that is ten meters long. The goat is able to graze over any area that the rope allows it to reach other than that excluded by a straight fence. The perpendicular distance from the post to the fence is 6m. Over wat area can the goat graze- to the nearest meter...ans = 269m^2

If any1 could help me determine the required angle ....that would be awesome...since the Q is straigforward after that!!! thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Draw a picture! You should see two right triangles where the hypotenuse is the 10 m rope and one leg is the 6 m perpendicular distance. The angle those make is one right triangle is obviously
    [tex]cos^{-1}(\frac{6}{10})[/tex]
    The total angle is twice that.

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3
    thanks very much.....but it was really stupid wat i was actually doin....i wasn;t including the rest of the circle!!!!i only included the sector wich i was caclulating with the angle u define above....but since the answer i got was wrong iassumed the angle was wrong...cheers anyway!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?