Group automorphism not a subgroup?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Aut(G) being a subgroup of G and the distinction between inner and outer automorphisms. The speaker is seeking clarification and recommendations for further reading on this topic.
wheezyg
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this... I thought Aut(G) was always a subgroup of G but I don't think I can prove it. This is leading me to second guess this intuition. Could I get some reading reccomendations from anyone on this? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statement 'Aut(G) always a subgroup of G' doesn't really make sense. Elements of Aut(G) are isomorphisms from G to G. So they aren't even the same type of object as elements of G. Do you mean to say that Aut(G) is always a group under composition? This is easy to prove as the composition of automorphisms is an automorphism ,and the inverse of an automorphism is an automorphism, so Aut(G) has group structureOr perhaps you mean to ask, 'are all automorphisms inner?'

You have a group homomorphism [tex]\rho:\,G\rightarrow \mbox{Aut}(G),\; g\rightarrow\rho_g[/tex] given by

[tex]\rho_g(h)=ghg^{-1}[/tex]

Thus [tex]G[/tex] has an image, possibly with a non-trivial kernel, in [tex]\mbox{Aut}(G)[/tex] - these are called "inner automorphisms". But, in general, there can be also "outer automorphisms" - automorphisms of G that can not be implemented by any element of G.

1. What is a group automorphism?

A group automorphism is a function that maps a group onto itself while preserving the group operation. This means that the elements of the group are rearranged in a way that the group operation remains unchanged.

2. How is a group automorphism different from a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. A group automorphism is a function that preserves the group operation, but it does not necessarily form a subgroup. In other words, a group automorphism is a rearrangement of the elements in a group, while a subgroup is a subset of the original group.

3. Why is a group automorphism not always a subgroup?

A group automorphism is not always a subgroup because it may not satisfy the closure property, which is necessary for a subset to be a subgroup. This means that the result of applying the automorphism to two elements in the group may not always be an element of the subset.

4. Can a group automorphism be a proper subgroup?

No, a group automorphism cannot be a proper subgroup. A proper subgroup is a subset of a group that is also a subgroup, meaning that it contains all the necessary elements for the operation to be closed. However, a group automorphism only rearranges the elements in a group and does not necessarily form a subgroup.

5. What is an example of a group automorphism that is not a subgroup?

An example of a group automorphism that is not a subgroup is the identity automorphism, which maps each element in a group to itself. This is because it does not change the group operation, but it does not form a subgroup because it does not satisfy the closure property.