Groups of Automorphisms - Aut(C) ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, Anderson and Feil assert that the automorphism group of ##\mathbb{C}##, ##\text{Aut}(\mathbb{C})##, has only two elements, ##\{i, f\}##, where ##i## is the identity automorphism and ##f## is the complex conjugation map defined by ##f(a + bi) = a - bi##. However, this assertion is only true if we require the automorphisms to be continuous. Without this restriction, there are many more possible automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}##. This is demonstrated by the proof provided by Infrared and the example given by Orodruin. Therefore, Anderson and
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 24: Abstract Groups ... ...

I need some help in understanding some claims in Chapter 24 by Anderson and Feil ... ...Anderson and Feil claim that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{C} )## is a group with only two elements ##\{i, f \}## ... ... where ##i## is the identity automorphism and ##f## is the complex conjugation map defined by ##f(a + bi) = a - bi## ... ...

... can someone please help me to prove the assertion that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{C} )## is a group with only two elements ##\{i, f \}## ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
For a general automorphism ##h##, you need to preserve the structure of ##\mathbb C## so ##h(zw) = h(z) h(w)## and ##h(z+w) = h(z)+h(w)##. From the second of those relations follows that ##0 = h(0) = h(1-1) = h(1)-h(-1) = 1-h(-1)## and so ##h(-1) = -1##. From the first of the relations follows that ##h(-1) = h(i^2) = h(i)^2## and so there are two possibilities, either ##h(i) = i## or ##h(i) = -i##. In general, taking a complex number ##z = x + iy##, you would now have ##h(z) = h(x+iy) = h(x) \pm i h(y) = x \pm iy##. The choice ##+## gives you the trivial automorphism and the choice ##-## gives you the complex conjugation.

Likes Math Amateur
@Orodruin's proof works if you also require your automorphisms to restrict to the identity on ##\mathbb{R}## (used in the step ##h(x)=x,h(y)=y##) but in general there are other automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}##. The construction requires a bit of field theory but I'll give a link: http://math.ucr.edu/~res/progeom/oldversions/pgnotesappd.pdf

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Orodruin and Infrared ... really appreciate your help in this matter ...

But I still need further help ... Orodruin has produces a convincing proof that there are only two automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}## ... but the link supplied by Infrared implies that this is the case only when the mappings are also continuous ... but Anderson and Feil say nothing of the need for the automorphisms to be continuous ... but the author of the link goes on to argue that if we do not demand that the automorphisms are continuous then the automorphism group of ##\mathbb{C}## is huge ...Can someone please clarify this situation ...
The key passage from the link supplied by Infrared is as follows:

upload_2017-7-3_13-31-53.png
Peter

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-3_13-24-45.png
    upload_2017-7-3_13-24-45.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 611
As I remarked in my last post, Oroduin's proof doesn't work since there is no reason to assume ##h(x)=x,h(y)=y##.

Any automorphism ##f:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}## must restrict to the identity on ##\mathbb{Q}## and take ##i## to either ##i## or ##-i##. Hence, the restriction of ##f## to ##\mathbb{Q}(i)## is either the identity function or complex conjugation. In the case ##f## is continuous, this determines [itex]f[/itex] since [itex]\mathbb{Q}(i)[/itex] is dense in ##\mathbb{C}## and so your ##f,i## are the only two continuous automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}##. However, if we don't require ##f## to be continuous, then it is not necessarily determined by its behavior on ##\mathbb{Q}(i)## and in fact there are many possible automorphisms as my link shows.

HI Orodruin and Infrared ...

I thought I would try to clarify exactly what Anderson and Feil had to say about this matter ...

I am beginning to understand that whether the automorphisms of ##\Bbb C## fix ##\Bbb R## may be an/the issue ... but from my reading of Anderson and Feil they seem to imply that the the automorphisms of ##\Bbb C## actually fix ##\mathbb{R}## anyway ... but you seem to be implying that this is not necessarily the case ...

The relevant text from Anderson and Feil is as follows:First the example that started me thinking:
?temp_hash=074f1eb25039629f658ef13a88ba37ed.png

Now the above example involves a Galois Group ... and in this group ##\mathbb{R}## is certainly fixed under Anderson and Feil's definition of a Galois Group ... which reads as follows:

Now, Example 47.3 refers to Exercise 24.14 which asserts that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{C} )## has only two elements ... note the exercise does not mandate the fixing of ## \ \mathbb{R} ## ... Exercise 24.14 reads as follows:

Hope that clarifies what Anderson and Feil have to say about the issue ... ...

I have been alerted that a new post has come in from Infrared ... will now study that post ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&F - Example 47.3 ... ....png
    A&F - Example 47.3 ... ....png
    16.1 KB · Views: 543
  • A&F - 1 - Defn of Galois Group ... PART 1 ....png
    A&F - 1 - Defn of Galois Group ... PART 1 ....png
    47.8 KB · Views: 617
  • A&F - 2 - Defn of Galois Group ... PART 2 ....png
    A&F - 2 - Defn of Galois Group ... PART 2 ....png
    10.3 KB · Views: 563
  • A&F - Exercise 24.14 ... ....png
    A&F - Exercise 24.14 ... ....png
    15.7 KB · Views: 566
Infrared said:
As I remarked in my last post, Oroduin's proof doesn't work since there is no reason to assume ##h(x)=x,h(y)=y##.

Any automorphism ##f:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}## must restrict to the identity on ##\mathbb{Q}## and take ##i## to either ##i## or ##-i##. Hence, the restriction of ##f## to ##\mathbb{Q}(i)## is either the identity function or complex conjugation. In the case ##f## is continuous, this determines [itex]f[/itex] since [itex]\mathbb{Q}(i)[/itex] is dense in ##\mathbb{C}## and so your ##f,i## are the only two continuous automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}##. However, if we don't require ##f## to be continuous, then it is not necessarily determined by its behavior on ##\mathbb{Q}(i)## and in fact there are many possible automorphisms as my link shows.
Hi Infrared ...

Still thinking over your post ...BUT ... just a worry ...

You write:

" ... ... However, if we don't require ##f## to be continuous, then it is not necessarily determined by its behavior on ##\mathbb{Q}(i)## and in fact there are many possible automorphisms as my link shows. ... ... "

Now, Anderson and Feil in Exercise 24.14 state there are only two automorphisms of ##\mathbb{C}## ... but they do not say that these automorphisms have to be continuous ... ...

Exercise 24.14 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=8a6bdbd982b283e3f1dd7a618b24dc9d.png

Are Anderson and Feil wrong or, at least, missing a condition on the automorphisms they are referring to ... ..Peter

Attachments

• A&F - Exercise 24.14 ... ....png
    A&F - Exercise 24.14 ... ....png
    15.7 KB · Views: 575
Yes, this looks wrong to me.

Likes Math Amateur
Orodruin said:
For a general automorphism ##h##, you need to preserve the structure of ##\mathbb C## so ##h(zw) = h(z) h(w)## and ##h(z+w) = h(z)+h(w)##. From the second of those relations follows that ##0 = h(0) = h(1-1) = h(1)-h(-1) = 1-h(-1)## and so ##h(-1) = -1##. From the first of the relations follows that ##h(-1) = h(i^2) = h(i)^2## and so there are two possibilities, either ##h(i) = i## or ##h(i) = -i##. In general, taking a complex number ##z = x + iy##, you would now have ##h(z) = h(x+iy) = h(x) \pm i h(y) = x \pm iy##. The choice ##+## gives you the trivial automorphism and the choice ##-## gives you the complex conjugation.
Hi Orodruin and Infrared ...

Can now see ... thanks to Infrared that there seems to be a problem with asserting that :

##h(z) = h(x+iy) = h(x) \pm i h(y) = x \pm iy##.

since it assumes that for all ##x, y \in \mathbb{R}## we have that ##h(x) = x## and ##h(y) = y##So maybe to get the result that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{C} )## has only/exactly two elements ... we need to assume that the automorphisms are fixed on ##\mathbb{R}## ... or alternatively that the automorphisms are continuous ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Infrared said:
Yes, this looks wrong to me.

Thanks Infrared ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
So maybe to get the result that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{R} )## has only/exactly two elements

I think this isn't what you mean to say. We know from a previous thread of yours that ##\text{Aut}(\mathbb{R})## is trivial. But here an automorphism of ##\mathbb{C}## might take real values to non-real values.

At any rate, I'm going to bed now.

Likes Math Amateur
Infrared said:
I think this isn't what you mean to say. We know from a previous thread of yours that ##\text{Aut}(\mathbb{R})## is trivial. But here an automorphism of ##\mathbb{C}## might take real values to non-real values.

At any rate, I'm going to bed now.
Oh sorry, Infrared ... it is a typo ...

Meant to say:

"... ... So maybe to get the result that ##\text{Aut} ( \mathbb{C} )## has only/exactly two elements ... we need to assume that the automorphisms are fixed on ##\mathbb{R}## ... or alternatively that the automorphisms are continuous ... ... "

Peter

*** EDIT ***

(1) Thanks for all your help om this matter ...

(2) I have altered the previous post so it is (should be ...) now correct ...

I think @Orodruin addressed this in his post, didn't he?

WWGD said:
I think @Orodruin addressed this in his post, didn't he?
Addressed what? I willingly admit that I took the physicist approach of sweeping the continuity assumption under the carpet. :rolleyes:

Likes Math Amateur and WWGD
Orodruin said:
Addressed what? I willingly admit that I took the physicist approach of sweeping the continuity assumption under the carpet. :rolleyes:
Ah, sorry about that :(.

Likes Math Amateur
WWGD said:
Ah, sorry about that :(.
You are sorry that I was sloppy? Don't be, it's on me. :smile:

Likes Math Amateur and WWGD
All I remember vaguely here is using ultraproducts and ultrafilters. " Ultraproducts, America's new Supermodels"..

Likes Math Amateur
Orodruin said:

Hi Orodruin ...

Just wondered if you agree that an alternative to the continuity assumption, is assuming that the automorphisms we are concerned with are fixed on ##\mathbb{R}## ... is that correct? ... (no idea why this assumption might be equivalent ... but it seems to be ...)

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi Orodruin ...

Just wondered if you agree that an alternative to the continuity assumption, is assuming that the automorphisms we are concerned with are fixed on ##\mathbb{R}## ... is that correct ... (no idea why this assumption might be equivalent ... but it seems to be ...)

Peter

I addressed this in my post #5, but to be more explicit: we know that any automorphism ##\phi:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}## fixes ##\mathbb{Q}##. If in addition ##\phi## is continuous, then ##\phi## must fix ##\mathbb{R}## since ##\mathbb{Q}## is dense in ##\mathbb{R}##.

Conversely, if ##\phi## fixes ##\mathbb{R}##, then it is either the identity or complex conjugation (by @Orodruin's first post), both of which are continuous.

Likes Math Amateur
Here is a proof, for mapping S:C -> C.

Let x {xr,xr} -- real and imaginary parts. Then, x+y = {xr+yr,xi+yi} and x*y = {xr*yr-xi*yi, xr*yi+xi*yr}.

From additivity, S(x) is linear: {S00*xr + S01*xi, S10*xr + S11*xi}, for S00, S01, S10, and S11 being in R.

From multiplicativity, I did some brute-force calculation with Mathematica for the general case, and I found that all these quantities must equal zero: -(-1 + 2*S00)*S10, S00 - S002 + S102, -S01*S10 + S11 - S00*S11, -S10 - 2*S01*S11, S01 - S00*S01 + S10*S11, -S00 - S012 + S112

This gives us S00 = 1, S01 = S10 = 0, and S11 = +- 1, the identity mapping and the complex-conjugate mapping. The two mappings form group Z2.

1. What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a transformation or mapping of a mathematical object that preserves its structure and properties. In other words, an automorphism is a way of rearranging or relabeling the elements of an object without changing its essential characteristics.

2. What is a group of automorphisms?

A group of automorphisms is a collection of automorphisms that form a group under composition. This means that when two automorphisms are applied one after another, the result is also an automorphism. This group is denoted as Aut(C) and is the set of all automorphisms of a given mathematical object, denoted as C.

3. What is the significance of groups of automorphisms?

Groups of automorphisms are significant because they provide a way to study the symmetries and invariances of a mathematical object. By understanding the different ways in which the elements of an object can be rearranged while preserving its structure, we gain insight into its properties and relationships with other objects.

4. How are groups of automorphisms used in mathematics?

Groups of automorphisms are used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and topology. They are particularly useful in the study of abstract algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, where they can reveal important properties and relationships between these structures.

5. Can groups of automorphisms have different properties?

Yes, groups of automorphisms can have different properties depending on the mathematical object they are associated with. For example, the group of automorphisms of a finite set is always finite, while the group of automorphisms of a continuous function can be infinite. Additionally, groups of automorphisms can have different structures, such as abelian or non-abelian, depending on the properties of the underlying object.