Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Dissertation (Impact Loading)

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I am seeking some guidance in a topic related to my group dissertation subject. The exact title of the dissertation is 'Investigation on the effect of using nano-ceramics on the strength of composite plates subjected to dynamic (impact) load.'. I had initially been bestowed the job of investigating the characteristics of Impact -.-, so far I have identified that an Impact refers to a large force that occurs over a very small period of time (collision). I have also identified & explained some of the different principles that have important use in understanding the behaviour of colliding bodies, these are:

• Impulse
    • Conservation of Linear Momentum
    • Coefficient of Restitution
    • Inelastic & Elastic Collisions

What other principles relate to Impact loading?

I have also been given the task to study the effect an Impact has on materials, & what properties materials require to be able to withstand impact loads. Know here is what I have wrote about so far:

• Materials are more brittle with impact loads
    • Hertizian contact stress
    • Impact resistance decreases with Young's modulus of elasticity
    • Resilient materials have better impact resistance
    • Ductile materials are more brittle at high velocity loading rates

What other effects should I be considering?
    What other material properties increase impact resistance?
    How can nano-ceramics be incorporated into composite plates?
    What composite material can be considered?

Cheers everyone.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook