Groups and orthogonal matrices question

In summary: I'm not sure if it is possible, but I'm trying to avoid using group theory since I am not very familiar with it. In summary, the individual is looking for a method to determine an nxn matrix X such that X-1AX and X-1BX are both orthogonal matrices, without any prior knowledge of the group in question. This can potentially be done through simultaneous equations or linear algebra, but group theory may also be a useful approach.
vr88
Let A and B be nxn matrices which generate a group under matrix multiplication. Assume A and B are not orthogonal. How can I determine an nxn matrix X such that X-1AX and X-1BX are both orthogonal matrices? Is it possible to do this without any special knowledge of the group in question?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you well, matrices M,M' are orthogonal if MM'=0 , where 0 is the

multiplicative 0 matrix. Then you need to check that the product of your matrices

is the zero matrix in your group. So at least to that extent (knowing the

0 element in your group, and the multiplication table to verify the product

equals the zero element) , you need to know your group.

Is that what you meant?

I mean that a matrix M is orthogonal if M-1=Mt.

I don't know the answer to your question. My interpretation of what you are asking is: "Can I set up a bunch of simultaneous equations and solve for a matrix [itex] X [/tex] so that conjugation by [itex] X [/itex] will map two given matrices to orthogonal matrices? - or must I resort to group theory?".

I suspect that if it can be done by group theory, there would be a way to do it with simultaneous equations of some sort. However, it might be simpler to take some hints from group theory.

The mapping defined by [tex] f(Y) = X^{-1} Y X [/tex] is an isomorphism from the group [tex] G [/tex] generated by [tex] A [/tex] and [tex] B [/tex] to the group W generated by [tex] P = X^{-1} A X [/tex] and [tex] Q = X^{-1} B X [/tex], which is a group of orthogonal matrices.

The groups of n by n orthogonal matrices have been much studied and so have their subgroups. W must be one of these subgroups. It must be finitely generated. That narrows down the list of possible "targets" for the mapping [tex] f [/tex]. If the group G happened to be finite (in addition to being finitely generated) that would greatly simplify matters. Finite groups are isomorphic to permuation groups. Are the matrices for permuation groups orthogonal matrices?

Stephen- That's essentially what I'm looking for. I am more interested in the case of finite groups. I don't know how much permutations help, though the permutation matrices are orthogonal. For example, if G=A5 is the alternating group on 5 points, and I have two 3x3 matrices which generate this group. I'm not sure how to use permutations to find two orthogonal 3x3 matrices which generate an isomorphic copy of this group. Though I know it is possible, since the symmetry group of the icosahedron is A5.

It isn't clear to me yet whether you are particularly interested in the simultaneous equations approach vs the group theory approach. It also isn't clear whether you want something like a general purpose computer algebra program to solve this problem for any given A and B or whether you only care about one particular pair of matrices.

The name for the study of representing groups as matrices (or more generally as transformations on perhaps infinite dimensional vectors spaces) is the "theory of group representations". I found one paper dealing with the representation theory of A5. http://www.math.toronto.edu/murnaghan/courses/mat445/mwesslen.pdf (See page 14)

A nice Wiki devoted to groups is: http://groupprops.subwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'm more interested in a general solution with a linear algebra or a simultaneous equations approach in the hopes that such an approach will work for whatever initial matrices I start with.

What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements that follow a specific set of rules, known as group axioms. These rules include closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. Groups are important in many areas of mathematics and are used to study symmetry and patterns.

What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix whose columns and rows are orthogonal unit vectors, meaning they are perpendicular to each other and have a length of 1. These matrices are useful in linear algebra and geometry because they preserve length and angles when multiplied by a vector.

What is the relationship between groups and orthogonal matrices?

Groups and orthogonal matrices are closely related because the set of all orthogonal matrices forms a group under matrix multiplication. This group is known as the orthogonal group and is denoted by O(n), where n is the dimension of the matrices. This relationship is important in studying symmetries and transformations in geometry.

How can orthogonal matrices be used in real-world applications?

Orthogonal matrices have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. They are used to rotate, scale, and reflect objects in 3D space. They are also used in signal processing and data compression algorithms, where preserving the orthogonality of data is important.

What are some properties of orthogonal matrices?

Some properties of orthogonal matrices include:

• They have a determinant of either 1 or -1.
  • Their inverse is equal to their transpose.
  • They preserve distances and angles in transformations.
  • They form a group under matrix multiplication.