Groups of prime order are cyclic. (without Lagrange?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a direct way to prove a fact about isomorphisms without using Lagrange's theorem. It is suggested that setting up an isomorphism between G and Z/pZ may work, but the proof is still unclear. The idea of using properties of Z/pZ and homomorphisms is mentioned, but it is noted that this would still rely on Lagrange's theorem. Ultimately, it is suggested that using Lagrange's theorem for cyclic groups is all that is needed for the proof.
TwilightTulip
I know full well the proof using Lagrange's thm. But is there a direct way to do this without using the fact that the order of an element divides the order of the group?

I was thinking there might be a way to set up an isomorphism directly between G and Z/pZ.

Clearly all non-zero elements of Z/pZ are generators, so sending any non-identity element of G to any equivalence class of 1,...,p-1 should induce an isomorphism... but how to prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess not then :biggrin:

I was thinking that since [tex]\phi(1)->g \neq e[/tex] works, there must be a way to construct such an ismorphism that makes it easy to "play" with the properties of a group to get the isom to work out.

I suppose simply showing that [tex]\phi(0) = e=g^0,g^1,...,g^{p-1}[/tex] are all unique would be enough. But this would e hard without using the fact that the order of an elt must divide p, unless of course this is provable without using lagrange?

I;ve come up with a way, but it assumes we know the properties of Z/pZ and a certain property of homomorphisms: that the order of [tex]\phi (k)[/tex] divides the order of k, which is p.

i guess you are essentially using lagrange for cyclic groups, which is all you need here.

1. What does it mean for a group to be of prime order?

A group is said to be of prime order if the number of elements in the group is prime, meaning it is only divisible by 1 and itself.

2. How is a group of prime order different from a group of non-prime order?

A group of prime order is special because it has no non-trivial subgroups, while a group of non-prime order can have multiple subgroups.

3. What does it mean for a group of prime order to be cyclic?

A cyclic group is one in which all the elements can be generated by repeatedly applying a single element, known as a generator. In a group of prime order, every element except the identity can be a generator.

4. How does Lagrange's theorem relate to groups of prime order being cyclic?

Lagrange's theorem states that the order of any subgroup must divide the order of the group. In a group of prime order, the only possible subgroup is the trivial subgroup, which has an order of 1. This means that the order of the group itself must be a prime number, making it cyclic.

5. Can a group of non-prime order also be cyclic without using Lagrange's theorem?

Yes, a group of non-prime order can also be cyclic if its order can be factored into two smaller numbers that are relatively prime. In this case, the group can have multiple generators and is still considered cyclic.