Guess the number i bet you lose

• Thread starter antonio glez
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a website that generates a sequence of 1.000.001 pseudo random digits and a game where the goal is to guess a four-digit sequence and count the number of times it appears in the generated sequence. The probability of getting a sequence right is 1 in 10,000 and with a million tries, one should get around 100 correct results. The conversation also mentioned that if someone consistently achieved an average higher or lower than 100, it would be impressive. Finally, the discussion touched on the normality of Pi and showed a distribution of the number of occurrences of each sequence of 4 numbers in the generated data.
antonio glez
here you have 1.000.001 pseudo random secuence of digits:

wait for it to load fully:

http://www.eveandersson.com/pi/digits/1000000

the game is put a secunce of four numbers trying to guess it right like for example 3498 and count how many times the page searcher finds it for this case it would find it 108 times so i would have won 8%

odds say you should get right one hundred in a million of numbers:

probaility to get right a for digit decimal number:

1/(10*10*10*10)=1/10.000 and you try a million times so by probabilty you should get right 100

so if you get an avearge 110 in your four digit number search youve won an average of 10% but if you find an avearge of ninety% in your searches you lost 10%

please tell how do you do i think most will lose
IMPORTANT: TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT WHEN THE LINE BREAKS 3/50 SECUENCES ARE NOT COUNTED YOU HAVE TO ADD 6 TO EVERY RESULT YOU OBTAIN TO PLAY FAIRLY

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'll take your word for it.

2298 is found 109 times
9617 is found 81
7841 is found 97
8283 is found 90

Looks like I'm losing so far.
Is Pi not conjectured (but unproven) to be normal? If Pi is normal, people should average nearly 100 finds if they were to conduct a bunch of trials.

It's an interesting game. If someone were ever to get an average higher or lower than 100 in a statistically significant sample size consistently, I would love to meet him/her, but I doubt that will occur. That would be one badass human calculator with the ability to search for a sequence very quickly.

Edit: Just FYI, I am aware that there's strong evidence that Pi is normal.

I had the computer count the number of occurrences of each sequence of 4 numbers, 0001 up to 9999, in the data linked to (after removing the line breaks). It shows a distribution nicely centred around 100.

4866 sequences occur less that 100 times
4741 sequences occur more that 100 times
(392 sequences occur 100 times)

Attachments

• Rplot001.jpeg
    Rplot001.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 462
gerben said:
I had the computer count the number of occurrences of each sequence of 4 numbers, 0001 up to 9999, in the data linked to (after removing the line breaks). It shows a distribution nicely centred around 100.

4866 sequences occur less that 100 times
4741 sequences occur more that 100 times
(392 sequences occur 100 times)

[PLAIN]http://winblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/star-wars-halloween-costume-win.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Guess the number i bet you lose"?

"Guess the number i bet you lose" is a game where one player chooses a secret number and the other player tries to guess it within a specified number of attempts.

2. How do you play "Guess the number i bet you lose"?

The player who chooses the secret number will give the other player a hint, such as the range of numbers or whether the secret number is odd or even. The other player will then make a guess and the first player will say if the guess is too high, too low, or correct. The game continues until the secret number is guessed or the specified number of attempts is reached.

3. What is the purpose of "Guess the number i bet you lose"?

The purpose of the game is to have fun and challenge your guessing skills. It can also help improve logical thinking and strategic planning.

4. Can "Guess the number i bet you lose" be played with more than two players?

Yes, the game can be played with more than two players. In this case, one player will choose the secret number and the other players will take turns making guesses until someone guesses the number correctly.

5. Are there variations of "Guess the number i bet you lose"?

Yes, there are various versions of this game such as "Guess the number i bet you win" where the goal is to guess the secret number within the specified number of attempts, or "Guess the number i bet you draw" where the goal is to guess the same number chosen by both players. There are also different rules and variations on how hints are given and the number of attempts allowed.