Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guinness World record attempt snake-sit

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    Guinness World record attempt "snake-sit"

A friend of mine is currently busy with an attempt at breaking the Guinness World record "snake-sit" where he has to live in a cage with 40 venomous snakes for a period of 110 days. He's already been in there for 85 days and things are going very well.

For those interested, here's the link to the website

And here is a video made of Martin (with a smaller, compressed version of the same video here)

phyz

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2
    Re: Guinness World record attempt "snake-sit"

I'm sorry to say this about one of your friends, but anytime someone does something like this I vote for the snakes. It just seems nuts to me. If everything goes well he comes out of this having wasted 110 days. If something goes wrong he's dead. It's the classic no win situation.

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

Why would anyone do something that dumb? What is he going to 'accomplish' by doing this?

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

Some of the proceeds go to "Save a Child"
    Mom says "You want to save a child? Get out of the damn box."

Actually if you want to impress me instead of 110 days in the box wearing leather boots and Levi's. try 7 days in the nude with your trouser snake mingling with the cottonmouths.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  6. Sep 7, 2008 #5

One doesn't die that easily (or quickly) from snakebites. The plan is to gain exposure for the park and to generate the funds to expand. Also, it is to try and educate people about snakes and the fact that snakes aren't vicious killers out to get you. Also, "snakes are his profession" so to speak and he's actively been studying them and their behaviour during his time there.

Why do you think it is dumb? He knows snakes, he's been dealing with them for years so he knows what to do and what not to do.

Why do it? See above.

The level of danger is very low during the day (i.e. he's awake and aware) the problem comes when he's sleeping. Snakes are cold-blooded and often attracted to his body-heat so he finds them in his bed on a regular basis. The danger there is that he might accidentally lie on one or otherwise trap one with his body which may cause the snake to feel threatened enough to strike.

On a side note, cottonmouths are American snakes and are not known as aggressive snakes, the number of American deaths (yearly) due to cottonmouths is negligible:

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Cottonmouth.cfm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_contortrix

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6

don't argue using facts. I don't.

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Honestly, I don't get it how you can be busy with sitting in a cage :tongue2:

It must be one of those language things :rofl:

9. Sep 7, 2008 #8

Hurry up and wait and I'll explain.

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9

:tongue: Ok, you got me :biggrin:

:biggrin:

True actually, says he can't wait to get out and work again! :confused:

11. Sep 7, 2008 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hurry up then wait is an approach I have seen during military service. There were only two speeds allowed - top speed and halt. Everything in between was always suspicious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?