Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys would you wear Ed Hardy or Affliction clothing?

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=366701&CategoryID=46364

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210721102&listingid=37540830&dcaid=17902

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/814207/7665196/0/1229489754/Affliction_t-shirts.jpg

http://www.noflysonus.com/images/render-lores.aspx?Image=main-image_5834.gif&Size=340 [Broken]

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2993357...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6023579&P=2

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3022911...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6023579&P=2

I still don't see how these are considered to be fashionable. How could a t-shirt cost anywhere from $50 to $180? Would you wear this type of clothing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

There must be enough suckers around to keep those lines selling. Hard to believe...

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
  5. Jul 13, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jul 13, 2009 #5
    If you want a T-shirt, go https://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1247511505&sr=8-1" and read the reviews.

[QUOTE="One Reviewer Wrote]
    12,028 of 12,134 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Dual Function Design, November 10, 2008
    By B. Govern "Bee-Dot-Govern" (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This item has wolves on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I tried it on, that's when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the shirt would properly cover my girth, I walked from my trailer to Wal-mart with the shirt on and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the wolves on my shirt that I, like a wolf, am a mysterious loner who knows how to 'howl at the moon' from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called mehth. I told them no, because they didn't have enough teeth, and frankly a man with a wolf-shirt shouldn't settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Wal-mart, mounted my courtesy-scooter (walking is such a drag!) sitting side saddle so that my wolves would show. While I was browsing tube socks, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly sweaty dream in sweatpants and flip-flops standing there. She told me she liked the wolves on my shirt, I told her I wanted to howl at her moon. She offered me a swig from her mountain dew, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you wolf shirt.

Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women
    Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark. [/QUOTE]

There are hundreds like these just for this amazing shirt.

7. Jul 13, 2009 #6
    Wow, I doubt I'd wear those clothes even if I got them for free, and there's no way I'd spend over $50 on them.

8. Jul 13, 2009 #7
  9. Jul 13, 2009 #8
    Everyone's got a bit of redneck in them, right? Hilarious. Glad I wasn't at work when I opened it though...

My 10-yr old youngest stepson oogles that ed hardy / affliction crap in the stores (when we alk through to get dad a tie or something)... but we're good with saying "Are you kidding? you like that crap? No way!" He instead managed to start a button-down shirt fad at his elementary school this past year.

10. Jul 13, 2009 #9
    I, for one, can't stand the affliction shirts, but I sure wish I was the one who originally thought up the concept. $$$

11. Jul 13, 2009 #10
    When I was 10 years old I probably would have thought that was cool, too. It's hard to understand the mind of a 10 year old without being 10.

From my recollection, I was all about "purity" of form. I hated any music that had vocals in them, because I viewed vocalization to be an impure form of music. I only liked beat and rhythm. With shirts, I hated shirts that had slogans or anything on them...I only wanted shirts that displayed beautiful patterns. This made me envy those cheezy shirts with the tattoo style patterns.

I think that as a child, it was simply easier to focus on simple things. Over time I grew bored of "pure" music that lacked vocals. I started off liking music that had vocals where the voice was used purely as an instrument...I immediately got annoyed if a legible word could be discerned. But over time I began to see the beauty in words too, and in shirts.

With shirts, I went through a phase where I only wanted to wear hot pink clothing, or clothing that had some famous brand/place name. Both of these were related to insecurity. I wanted to wear hot pink clothing because I perceived that everyone who was popular wore hot colored clothing. I wanted to wear shirts with brand names/ place names because it displayed that I had been places, and was therefore, an awesome person who traveled.

I dunno, maybe every kid has a different way of seeing things :)

12. Jul 13, 2009 #11
  13. Jul 13, 2009 #12
    I like the way the clothes look but I'm not paying what they're asking under any circumstances. Also, when it gets to the point where EVERYONE is wearing the same thing I pretty much avoid it.

14. Jul 13, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I may have to start buying more T-shirts because mine are getting hole-y. Whenever I actually paid for a shirt, it was usually at the end of a biker bash, and the vendors wanted to dump them dirt-cheap because they had "Laconia Bike Week 2000" or similar on them. Before that, I always got my shirts from beer vendors. When they wanted to promote specials at a tavern where I was entertaining, I'd time my breaks and let them use my PA to run their contests. Got a LOT of shirts that way. My favorite was from Shipyard Brewery and featured a picture of Joshua Chamberlain (Civil War hero).

15. Jul 13, 2009 #14
    The first one wasn't bad, and for the prce, sure, I'd wear it. The rest are pretty ugly and WAY over priced.

16. Jul 13, 2009 #15
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  17. Jul 13, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Jul 13, 2009 #17
    Both styles are super passe! Way too much going on. Some of the designs decent but need to be toned way down and simplified more.

19. Jul 13, 2009 #18
    The only people who should ever wear Affliction or Tapout are the people who are sponsored by them.

I know a few mma fighters and they would never wear affliction or tapout (unless sponsorship was involved).

The only thing wrong with that first shirt is the stupid skull. Skulls on your shirt = auto dbag.

20. Jul 13, 2009 #19
    I'd say something along the lines of "judging people by what they wear = auto dbag".

21. Jul 13, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Here's my favorite brewery freebie:

http://www.shipyardshopping.com/shirts/chmb.html [Broken]

For those who have lived under a rock, Joshua Chamberlain resigned his professorship at Bowdoin College to join the union forces and he was in command of the 20th Maine, when, his troops out of ammunition, he ordered a bayonet charge and routed superior confederate forces to hold Little Round Top and protect the union flank at Gettysburg. Kind of a big deal. Eventually, he was selected to accept the surrender of the confederate troops at the end of the war - quite an honor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook