1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Half-face traversal on general polyhedra

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I'm developing a data structure to represent 3-D meshes for numeric simulation. I want those meshes to be able to handle any type of polyhedron (not only the classic tetra and hexahedron). The best data structure that I could find was one based on half-edges (or darts), such as this one: https://www.cse.msu.edu/~ytong/papers/halfFace.pdf

The problem is, I want to be able to traverse the faces that compose a given polyhedron, such that this path could be represented as a Hamiltonian cycle on a graph whose nodes are the faces of the polyhedron, and the edges are the face-face connectivity within the polyhedron.

The 2-D counterpart would be a half-edge, which is trivial to traverse as in a Hamiltonian cycle if the graph nodes and edges are the same as the original polygon. All you have to do is follow the half-edges:

ham01.png

But this doesn't seem to be easy when dealing with faces (or half faces). I don't even know if there will be a hamiltonian path of the faces for every possible polyhedron. And determining those is not easy and hard to keep in memory pre-processed. Here's an example for a prism:
    ham02.png

The paper presents a common half-edge, half-face structure to store topological information. This structure allows for some operations (combinatorial maps) on each half-edge: ##\beta_1##, ##\beta_2##, and ##\beta_3##. Those maps are depicted below:
    halfedge.png
    Here, ##\beta_1## is red, ##\beta_2## is green, and ##\beta_3## is blue. So, as you can see, if you apply ##\beta_1## you will get the adjacent half-edge within the same half-face, if you apply ##\beta_2## you will get the adjacent half-edge on an adjacent half-face within the same polyhedron, and if you apply ##\beta_3## you will get the adjacent half-edge on the opposite half-face, from a adjacent polyhedron.

In short, my question is, is there a fast (i.e. with linear complexity) algorithm to traverse all the faces of a given polyhedron using those three operations? It would be sufficient to get just one half-edge for each half-face within the polyhedron, since traversing it is trivial by repeatedly using ##\beta_1##.

Until now, it seems my best bet is a graph-search algorithm, which is way too heavy for my needs.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 28, 2016 #3
    It could be interesting to proof if all polyhedra contain a hamiltonian cycle on its faces. This theorem can be applied to planar graphs, I'm not sure also if every possible polyhedron can have its faces connectivities mapped to a planar graph. I couldn't think of a counter example, though.

5. Dec 28, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Clearly every polyhedron can be flattened out into a planar graph. Just pick one face to be the exterior.
    Every 3-connected planar graph can be formed into a polyhedron.

6. Dec 28, 2016 #5
    Oh, of course. I guess I missed my geometry classes.
    I will try to work this out. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted