1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian (electron in an electro-m field)

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\right] ^{2}+qU+\frac{q\hbar }{2m}\vec{\sigma}.\vec{B} ..(1) [/tex]
    show that it can be written in this form;
    [tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left\{ \vec{\sigma}.\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\right] \right\}^{2}+qU ....(2) [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

In my case, I am going to use only;

[tex]\left( \vec{\sigma}.\vec{R}\right) ^{2}=\vec{R^2}+i\vec{\sigma}.\left( \vec{R}\times \vec{R}\right) ...(3) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Writing equation (1) in this form;
    [tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left[\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\right]^{2}-i\vec{\sigma}(iq\hbar\vec{B})\right]+qU[/tex]

using the equation (3) and identifying terms;

[tex]\vec{R}=\vec{P}-q\vec{A}[/tex]

then, to replace [tex]\left[\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\right]^{2}-i\vec{\sigma}(iq\hbar\vec{B})\right][/tex] by [tex]\left\{ \vec{\sigma}.\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\right] \right\}^{2}[/tex]

the following must satisfy;

[tex]\left( \vec{R}\times\vec{R}\right)=iq\hbar\vec{B}[/tex]

to do that, I write RxR like;
    [tex]\left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\left( \vec{R},t\right) \right] \times \left[ \vec{P}-q\vec{A}\left( \vec{R},t\right) \right] =\vec{P}\times \vec{P}+q^{2}\vec{A} \times \vec{A}-\vec{P}\times q\vec{A} -q\vec{A}\times \vec{P}[/tex]

the first two term (PxP and AxA) on the right hand are equal to 0. But I dont know what to do with the rest;
    [tex]\vec{P}\times q\vec{A} -q\vec{A}\times \vec{P}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that ##\mathbf{p} = -i\hbar\nabla## and that in the actual Schroedinger equation, the Hamiltonian will be multiplied by the wavefunction. Thus, instead of only [tex]\vec{P}\times q\vec{A} -q\vec{A}\times \vec{P}[/tex], you should consider [tex](\vec{P}\times q\vec{A} -q\vec{A}\times \vec{P})\psi[/tex] where ##\psi## is an arbitrary wavefunction.

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you for replying.

Actually, I knew that. And that's where I'm stucked. Could you please develop a bit more?

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the first term which is proportional to ##\mathbf{p}\times (\mathbf{A}\psi) = i\hbar\nabla \times (\mathbf{A}\psi)##, At this point, you can use the identity involving the curl of a product between a scalar function and a vector like the one in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics).

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5
    Ok, thank you !

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. Nov 22, 2015 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's indeed how you should proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted