Hard Physics SF: The Three-Body problem

In summary, "The Three-Body Problem" is a science fiction novel written by Chinese author Liu Cixin. It has received positive reviews and deals with a civilization facing difficulties due to its chaotic triple star system. The book has a gaming element and explores the challenges of predicting the unpredictable climate on a strange planet. It is the first book in a trilogy, with the second book already translated into English.
Physics news on Phys.org
I started to read this book and while being quite good, I got sidetracked into reading The Expanse books.

I remember it had a gaming feel where folks tapped into different times playing a character who tries to predict the unpredictable climate on this strange planet not understanding the suns it orbits.

jedishrfu said:
I remember it had a gaming feel where folks tapped into different times playing a character who tries to predict the unpredictable climate on this strange planet not understanding the suns it orbits.
Yes, that what it looks like in the start of the novel. It gets steadily more creepy.

I read this recently. It was interesting - dealing with the difficulties a civilization would face if its "sun" was actually a triple star system and therefore chaotic - but at the end it went too far away from reality as we know it.

It's actually the first book of a trilogy. The second book (The Dark Forest) has been translated to English. I started it but didn't get very far before I lost interest.

1. What is the Three-Body problem in physics?

The Three-Body problem is a classical mechanics problem that involves predicting the motion of three bodies in a gravitational system. It is a notoriously difficult problem to solve analytically, and has been a topic of study for centuries.

2. Why is the Three-Body problem considered a "hard" problem in physics?

The Three-Body problem is considered a "hard" problem in physics because it does not have a simple, closed-form solution. The interaction between three bodies in a gravitational system is highly complex and chaotic, making it difficult to accurately predict the motion of the bodies over time.

3. How is the Three-Body problem relevant to science fiction?

The Three-Body problem has been a popular topic in science fiction because of its mysterious and unpredictable nature. Many authors have used it as a plot device in their stories, incorporating the idea of multiple bodies in a gravitational system causing unexpected and sometimes catastrophic events.

4. Are there any real-world applications for studying the Three-Body problem?

Yes, studying the Three-Body problem has real-world applications in fields such as astrophysics, celestial mechanics, and orbital dynamics. It is also relevant in understanding the behavior of complex systems and can help in the development of better numerical methods for solving difficult problems.

5. Has the Three-Body problem been solved?

No, the Three-Body problem is still an open problem in physics. While there have been various numerical and approximate solutions proposed, there is no general analytical solution that can accurately predict the motion of three bodies in all cases. It remains an area of ongoing research and study.