Solving the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory

• A
  • Thread starter m_annapaula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, a user is trying to simulate the trajectory of the decay of two protons using classical physics and a python program. They are using initial conditions and equations to calculate the trajectory, but are not getting the expected result of an exponential path. They are looking for help in understanding the physical part of their analysis and getting clarification on their system of units.
m_annapaula
Hello, I'm trying to simulate the trajectory of the decay of two protons from the nucleus. I am using classical physics to calculate the trajectory from Newton's second law. For this, I wrote a python program, but I'm not getting the expected result, which would be an exponential path.
My analysis is part of the principle that protons are embedded in the nucleus but still "stuck" to it. Place the reference system with (0,0) at this point. Stipulating the protons upwards (positive part of the axis) and one down (negative part of the axis), I am analyzing only the positive proton and the nucleus.
Here are the initial conditions and the equations I am using, where r = proton position vector and R = nucleus position vector. The proton starts at the point (R, d / 2) and the nucleus at (0,0) and both the initial velocities are zero. Initial conditions:

R = 5.0 fermi #Ray of an Iron Atom
d = 1.0 fermi #Distance between protons
Q = 26 C #Number of protons
q = 1.0 C #Charge of a proton
k = 1.44 MeV.fm #Electrostatic Constant
m = 931 MeV #Mass of a Proton
M = 45 * m #Mass of iron's nucleus
t = 100 fermi/c #Total time
dt = 1 fermi/c

Equations for proton:

Ax = K*q*Q*x / | r - R |**3
Ay = k*q*Q*y / | r - R |**3 + k*q^2/4*y^2

Vx = Vox + Ax*dt
Vy = Voy + Ay*dt

X = Xo + Vox*dt + (Ax*dt^2)/2
Y = Yo + Voy*dt + (Ay*dt^2)/2

Equations for nucleus:

Ax = 2*(m/M)*Ax(proton aceleration)

Vx = 2*(m/M)*Vx(proton velocity)

X = Xo + Vx*dt + (Ax*dt^2)/2

The expression for acceleration and core velocity I find through the conservation of the linear momentum and then derive the equation to find the acceleration.
It may not be clear enough, but I tried to make it as clear as possible. The equations seem to be correct, but the trajectory I get is a straight line, not an exponential one. Can you help by looking at the physical part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello m_annapaula, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Interesting exercise. Some start-off remarks:
  • I never heard of such a decay :cry:
  • The way you describe your scenario it's more a two-body problem (good!)
  • Why make things difficult from the onset, instead of doing a one body problem first to check
##\qquad## ##\qquad## (i.e. fix nucleus at (0,0) a let a proton fly off along the x-axis)

And now my two cents to help you further:

Could you explain your system of units ? If I just fill in the numerical values for the symbols, I get a very small acceleration, so very little happens in the first 100 steps ...

I miss the m in Ax

m_annapaula said:
Vx = Vox + Ax*dt
This isn't right. You want something like ##v_x(r_{n+1}) = v_x(r_n) + A_x(r_n) \cdot {\mathrm d}t ##.

Similarly X = Xo + Vox*dt + (Ax*dt^2)/2 : it's a formula for linear motion with constant acceleration and all you do is make Ax vary.

1. What is the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory?

The Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory refers to the challenge of predicting the trajectory of a proton as it decays into three particles. This problem is complex because it involves three interacting bodies (the proton and the two decay particles) and their gravitational forces.

2. Why is solving the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory important?

Solving this problem is important because it can help us better understand the fundamental forces of the universe and the process of proton decay. It can also have practical applications in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

3. What are the current methods for solving the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory?

Currently, there are various numerical and analytical methods used to solve the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory. These include N-body simulations, perturbation theory, and approximations such as the restricted three-body problem.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the complex interactions and gravitational forces between the three bodies. Another challenge is dealing with the uncertainty and unpredictability of the decay process itself.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the Three Body Problem for Proton Decay Trajectory?

If we are able to successfully solve this problem, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of particles in the universe. It could also lead to advancements in technology and scientific research in various fields.