Has anyone read I.N. Herstein's 'Matrix Theory and Linear Algebra' with Winters?

In summary, Herstein's Linear Algebra is a comprehensive textbook written by I.N. Herstein that covers the fundamentals of linear algebra. It is commonly used as a reference for undergraduate and graduate students studying mathematics and related fields. While it can be used by beginners, it is typically recommended for those with a strong background in mathematics. The book is known for its unique style of presenting abstract concepts and includes a wide range of challenging exercises. It also has a section on applications of linear algebra and has been updated in newer editions. It can be used as a reference book with its detailed index and table of contents.
qspeechc
I was surprised to recently discover that I.N.Herstein (author of 'Topics in Algebra' amongst others) wrote a book on linear algebra entitled ''Matrix Theory and Linear Algebra'' with a chap called Winters. I can't find any reviews of this book anywhere. I wanted to know if anyone has read the book and what do they think of it? How does it compare to books like Hoffman & Kunze and other good linear algebra books? There isn't a copy in my university's library, btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess then, that no-one here has read the book?

I have not personally read I.N. Herstein's 'Matrix Theory and Linear Algebra' with Winters. However, I am familiar with Herstein's other works, such as 'Topics in Algebra', which are highly regarded in the mathematics community.

Unfortunately, it seems that there are not many reviews available for this particular book. It is possible that it may not have gained as much popularity as other linear algebra books, such as Hoffman & Kunze. However, this does not necessarily mean that it is not a valuable resource.

I would suggest reaching out to other mathematicians or professors who specialize in linear algebra to see if they have any insights on the book. It is also worth considering reaching out to the publisher or the authors themselves to inquire about the book's content and reception.

In terms of comparing it to other books, it is difficult to say without having read it. However, considering Herstein's reputation and expertise in algebra, it is likely that the book would provide a solid foundation in linear algebra.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your search for more information on this book.

1. What is Herstein's Linear Algebra?

Herstein's Linear Algebra is a textbook written by I.N. Herstein that covers the fundamentals of linear algebra, including vector spaces, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. It is commonly used as a reference for undergraduate and graduate students studying mathematics and related fields.

2. Is Herstein's Linear Algebra suitable for beginners?

While Herstein's Linear Algebra can be used by beginners, it is typically recommended for students who have taken a previous course in linear algebra or have a strong background in mathematics. The book is known for its rigorous and abstract approach, which may be challenging for those new to the subject.

3. What makes Herstein's Linear Algebra different from other textbooks?

Herstein's Linear Algebra is known for its unique style of presenting abstract concepts in a clear and concise manner. It also includes a wide range of challenging exercises and problems to help students deepen their understanding of the material. Additionally, the book includes a section on applications of linear algebra, which sets it apart from other purely theoretical textbooks.

4. Is Herstein's Linear Algebra still relevant today?

Yes, Herstein's Linear Algebra is still relevant today as it covers fundamental concepts that are widely used in mathematics, physics, and engineering. The book has also been updated in newer editions to include more modern applications and examples.

5. Can Herstein's Linear Algebra be used as a reference book?

Yes, Herstein's Linear Algebra is a comprehensive textbook that can also serve as a useful reference for those who need to review certain concepts or theorems. It includes a detailed index and table of contents, making it easy to find specific topics and definitions.