Has the evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration been discussed?

In summary, The conversation discusses the search for a forum discussion on the Astrophysics letter titled 'Evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration' by Jacques Colin et. al, published on October 18, 2019. There is ongoing criticism about the reliability of supernova data in determining anisotropy in the universe, as it is subject to biases. However, CMB measurements provide more reliable constraints. More recent studies on this topic have been published in 2016 and 2020.
Jorrie
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can someone please direct me to any forum discussion on anisotropy in SN1a data?
I have searched the forum a bit but could not find a discussion of this Astrophysics letter:
'Evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration', Jacques Colin et. al, 18 Oct 2019.

Can someone please direct me to any forum discussion?

Space news on Phys.org
Jorrie said:
Summary:: Can someone please direct me to any forum discussion on anisotropy in SN1a data?

I have searched the forum a bit but could not find a discussion of this Astrophysics letter:
'Evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration', Jacques Colin et. al, 18 Oct 2019.

Can someone please direct me to any forum discussion?
The cosmic acceleration data from supernovas only is known to be subject to biases. Critics is ongoing since original publication in 1999. The problem with this discussion is mostly what reliability of supernova data does not matter in most cosmological scenarios (except for category called "late phase transition"). Because CMB measurements do provide much more rigorous constraints on universe anisotropy, including "dark flow" advocated in paper you linked.

1. What is anisotropy of cosmic acceleration?

Anisotropy of cosmic acceleration refers to the uneven expansion of the universe in different directions. This means that the rate of expansion is not uniform in all directions, leading to a distorted shape of the universe.

2. What evidence supports the existence of anisotropy of cosmic acceleration?

Several studies have observed a difference in the expansion rate of the universe in different directions, such as the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation and the distribution of galaxies. These observations provide evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration.

3. How does anisotropy of cosmic acceleration affect our understanding of the universe?

Anisotropy of cosmic acceleration challenges the assumptions of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which have been the basis of many cosmological models. It suggests that the universe may have a more complex structure and may require new theories to explain its behavior.

4. Has the evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration been widely accepted by the scientific community?

While there is still ongoing research and debate on the topic, the evidence for anisotropy of cosmic acceleration has been widely accepted by the scientific community. Many studies have replicated the findings, and it has been included in current cosmological models.

5. How can we further study anisotropy of cosmic acceleration?

Future experiments and observations, such as the Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument and the Euclid space telescope, will provide more data to study anisotropy of cosmic acceleration. This will allow scientists to refine our understanding of the phenomenon and potentially uncover new insights into the nature of the universe.