Loved the movie. After it ended I wanted to be a blue cat person running around in the trees and riding giant lizards too. The visual effects were astounding, even if the story itself wasn't completely original. Stories evolve from their predecessors. Eventually one grows wings that allow it to fly and everyone says that is a new idea. It is a conglomeration of old ideas in a new arrangement.
Avatar's storyline isn't anything particularly innovative, and someone who favors that aspect of storytelling above others might not value its other qualities as highly. Personally, I like that story. If I like a book I will read it several times because I enjoy the story. It doesn't matter if the names and places have been changed because it is the underlying story that I find appealing, even if there is nothing unexpected. Though I have to say, I would have enjoyed the movie more if the there were some emphasis on the reason why the humans were so predisposed towards violence in obtaining... um, unobtainium. I felt as if I were being directed to be sympathetic towards the Na'Vi and wasn't very appreciative of being compelled to do so. I feel that Cameron had a perfect opportunity to give believable motivation for the human's actions, but chose not to so that they could be more easily portrayed as bloodthirsty brutes. I don't mind the demonization, but the reason was there and it was never shown to the audience except in one or two lines of dialogue. It never showed their desperation; a vital component to their motivation in my opinion. It gave the movie a fairy tail, cartoony feel to it.
What gives this movie its wings is the 3d technology, and a beautiful pair of wings it is. Like all the CGI and camera effects, the 3d technology is a storytelling aid, which Cameron used masterfully. To hear about the movie is like a blind man hearing a description of a butterfly. To watch the movie in 3d is like opening your eyes for the first time and seeing a butterfly. Ultimately, it is eye candy, but it's eye candy that engages the senses in a more satisfactory manner than conventional 2d motion pictures. Rather than a being a crutch for imagination, I see it as a boon similar to when the first motion pictures were released when there was only radio before, or when color pictures replaced black and white. Avatar is like a sculpture among cave paintings. It's coffee flavored ice-cream at Starbucks.
The plot of Avatar isn't what makes Cameron a genius. It was his implementation and of technology. He could have filmed Avatar years ago and it wouldn't have made much of an impact in movies. He spent years having it designed and convincing directors and theaters to make and show movies using the new 3d tech. His average movie is now a mega-blockbuster because of it. I'm impressed, but perhaps I'm easily impressed. Regardless, I appreciate Cameron's effort and I'm anxious to see how the results of his effort will be used in the future.
Also, I think there are to be two more Avatar movies. Hopefully they will fill out where the plot was lacking, but perhaps its too little, too late in that department if Cameron was shooting for an epic.